ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
There's no prohibition about plugmold facing downward.
Why not just mount it to the bottom of the cabinets and call it a day?
The only way that the plugmold would be visible would be if you were laying on top of the counter.

Ghost307
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
In the "remote" part of my counter top (2'+ are on the far side of the sink) I used a "wiremold" box and wired it with Romex through the wall it was up against. It is still shallow enough so the cabinet skirt covers it and easy to get to without moving the coffee maker that sits there.
If I had more load I would have done a quad.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:
Did I miss something in your post??
Plugmold has a 'feed' end for connection to bldg. wire.

I have seen it also with KOs on the 'back'.

Last edited by HotLine1; 12/03/15 03:58 PM. Reason: typo

John
Cat Servant
The KO on the back ... yes, I suppose you could connect your Romex directly to the plugmold. Silly me, I've always been starting off from either a Wiremold box or an EMT transition piece.

I was trying to imagine how to connect plugmold to a wall box directly, without a Wiremold box jutting out of the wall.

I guess what I'm trying to imagine is a new product ... plugmold with outer flanges, for setting flush into walls. I was trying to imagine how that product would, in turn, mount to a 4-square box.

Today's project was to move my computer desk into another room. As you might guess, this meant hanging two lengths of corded plugmold. All I can say is .... the Wiremold brand is a lot nicer that the other stuff! Easier to mount, neater package, etc.

N
The one problem I see with mounting PlugmoldŽ to the studs & butting the drywall to it, is that the drywall would be chewed up if one had to open up the PlugmoldŽ for whatever reason.

BTW, always thought the Walker multi-outlet assembly was more user friendly then PlugmoldŽ but have no idea if it's still around, since the Wiremold Company bought Walker.

G
I see another possible problem with the approach of 'recessing' the plugmold into the drywall...the wall will no longer have any fire rating whatsoever.

Ghost307
P
Originally Posted by ghost307
There's no prohibition about plugmold facing downward.
Why not just mount it to the bottom of the cabinets and call it a day?
The only way that the plugmold would be visible would be if you were laying on top of the counter.

I realize this is an old post, but wanted to comment on a customer I had who had tile on the wall over the backsplash and did not want anything visible on it (such as those ugly things called receptacles). He wanted the prewired, rec. every 6", plugmold on the bottom of the cabinet facing down.

Rough-in was carefully planned so Romex tails could exit from the wall precisely at the cabinet line so it could be sleeved in 3/8 flex carefully clipped tight to the cab. bottom and enter an entrance fitting for each of
the two runs (one on each side of the sink.

GFCI breakers were used. The installation was kinda a b1tch, but the precious tile was unblemished by those pesky "convenience" receptacles...which brings be to my point. There was nothing convenient about bending over and craning your neck to plug things in. Of course, certain things just stay plugged in, but for my money I want a straight on target for the plug in my hand so I don't have to become the "India rubber man" contorting my 66 yr. old body to plug in the popcorn maker.

Some things just need to be practical.

G
But mounting it on the bottom of the cabinets, getting paid, and getting out of there with a Code compliant job is preferable to having a major fight with the customer about it...IMHO.

After he has to hunt for the receptacle a few times he'll realize that you were right and he was living in fantasyland.

Ghost307
poorboy
I feel your pain, as I come upon this doing inspections. Yes, it's a pain in the back for a lot of us.

I 100% agree with ghost307, make the client happy, 100% code compliant, pass inspection and get paid & out.

John
Cat Servant

Last edited by renosteinke; 10/15/16 09:52 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard