ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
I'm sure the breakers are fine. The 'voltage rating' issue applies only to single-pole use.

The weak link is the contactor. To repeat myself, ordinary contactors are not rated for use with HID ("tungsten") lighting. Such lamps typically need a contactor rated for about 150% of what you'd expect from looking at the FLA.

A lighting contactor will specify 'ballast' and 'tungsten' load ratings. A definite purpose contactor will only specify 'resistive' loads.

Here's an example of a lighting contactor: http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product-range/1864-type-l-lx-lighting-contactors/

Contrast that to the definite purpose contactor: http://static.schneider-electric.us...20Contactors-Class%208910/8910CT9301.pdf

T
Any place we know of to get cheap 50a lighting contactors? I need 16 of them.

Shake n Bake
Trick:

Why don't you check out Sq D Lighting contactors....

Check Reno's link above. They are made for lighting use and come in multiple # of poles within a single enclosure.

Did you check and verify the load amperages, both startup and 'run'??

John
Based on an 'Advance' replacement core/coil ballast spec
the start current is lower then the operating current.

I had to check this to satisfy my own mind.

Sounds strange that you have 16 'bad' contactors.

John
G
One thing I learned with contactors is going small or cheap is false economy. If you have anything but a toaster wire load, running at 60-70% rating is pushing it if these will make and break under load and you want a lot of operations out of them.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
There is about a $40 premium to go from a 50 amp, to a 90 amp, Sq D 2 pole, 240 volt coil DP contactor.

$$ from WWG list on the website.

I always went 'UP' on the rating as long as the physical size was OK for replacements.

Still, 16 "bad" contactors??

John
T
It was so far 4 contactors that went bad at the same time. Its a total of 16 through-out the 2 rooms that he wants changed so this doesnt happen again.

I'm going over there Thursday to move all the 240v breakers off the high leg. That is the only thing I can think that happened. The contactor went to shut off and only 1 leg shut off, leaving the high leg energized and killing the ballast.? Idk.

I had the previous electrician call me today and ask what happened cause the the owner wants him to pay $10k. Then right after the owner calls me and wants me to write a letter saying the damage was due to the previous electrician. I'm still confused I what actually happened here.

Last edited by Trick440; 06/14/16 04:21 PM.

Shake n Bake
All I can 'add' is "careful with the letter"

John
Cat Servant
Trick .... RUN AWAY!

There's no profit in being dragged into a dispute between thieves. Tell the customer that this job is outside the scope of your business. Send him a BIG bill - his failure to pay it will make him look bad, should he continue to try to drag you into this. Answer his inquiries with "I'm billing you for my efforts so far, there is no resolution, I have no idea what's going on, and am not comfortable proceeding."

I've seen far too many marginal customers seek out marginal contractors - whence the two each try to take advantage of the other.

Trick:

IMHO, I would not get involved with 'blame' unless you are 100+% confident that the 'problem' was related to the previous contractor. Confident enough to prove the cause, and that it was relative to the installation, or relative to the plans prepared by a Licensed Professional (Architect/PE/EE etc.)

It can turn quickly into a legal battle, and lawyers are usually the ones who profit from that.

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard