ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I just posted that link to show you what the support I mentioned looked like. They're not the exact supports I use.

Mine come in bags of 100, are sized to steel / copper pipe sizes, and are most often seen supporting HVAC line sets. They're available at plumbing houses, HVAC houses, and even my local Graybar branch (for 1/2" only). The price is more like 12 cents apiece.

As a way to keep pipe from rattling in steel studs, they're hard to beat.

Reno:
As I said, the supports would not raise my eyebrows.

Thru phone calls from ECs and other inspectors, I have heard a lot of 'what the (insert your choice) is he talking about??'

Does a sleeve have to be UL listed? Guy used scrap pcs of 'Fire Red' PVC sprinkler pipe for sleeves. Another used scrap DWV.

Support methods? Let's not even go there now. Yes, there are 'some' who go to extreme reasoning, but is that because there is a lot of time on their hands?

John
P
My boss was always kinda tight about buying certain items, one being 4 squares with brackets or Caddy H23 mounting brackets for use on steel stud jobs. We were told to use 1/2"X#8 tek screws thru the two tiny holes near the front on the side.

This was no picnic, as the holes were too small and you were really in need of three hands to do it quickly. Lots of bad language floated around during several consecutive all day "boxing sessions" on large jobs.

Along came a new inspector. He said those holes were not allowed to be used for mounting. We could not prove otherwise (what else would they be for?) but we workers then had all the authority we needed to tell the boss "Stop carrying 88 cents a box on your takeoffs and get us Caddy H23 brackets or side bracketed 4 sqs."

I loved that inspector, right or wrong, and the quality of the job was improved. All future jobs were much easier as well.

What had actually caused the inspector to question it was the way those of us who wanted a tighter mount screwed one tek screw back thru the stud into the side of the box creating a pointed "hazard" inside the box. You do what you have to to be satisfied with your mechanical soundness.

Poorboy:

Just an FYI regarding the side holes in 4" square box.

Steel City Accessory item 52171-OW

'Add-on' ears to make a 4" sq 'old work box'

Check it out on Steel City website.

John
G
I have seen green ground screws in those holes. I was never sure if it was legal but I didn't fail them because the wire seemed secure. The boxed were tap conned to a block wall so the back holes were unavailable.

Greg Fretwell
I have not come upon the green screws, or anyone using the holes to mount the box either.

I don't think the green screw would bother me. A great idea from the box mfg's is the dimpled location for the green screw. Saves a lot of 'ooops'.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard