ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
I've had the foam shoe on the other hoof as well....

I went a few rounds with an archy and his lighting lady here , who wished to have me install 12 cans in a vaulted ceiling, to be spray foamed.

They all backed up to a shingled roof as well .....

My concern was captive heat , from lamps , not the wiring.

There was a flurry of paperwork and manufacturers specs, re> can ,shingle & foam, bantered back/forth, but nothing to directly advocate the install of each in close proximity.

In my view, this should have been considered a listed assembly, or had a field rep visit, etc....

One can't be too careful as an EC, because almost everyone around an EC has either disclaimers(AIA 401 for archy's) or sovereign immunity (state officials)

I can count 12 'dots' in said roof when it snows here....:(

~Sparky, EC, still at large~

Last edited by sparky; 02/21/16 09:32 AM.
G
When I actually read the ROP comments it does look like they are saying embedding wire in foam degrades the ability to shed heat far more than just being in a cable jacket, a pipe or simply bundled together. This actually seemed to go back to an SE issue that came up where a bunch of them went through one hole and burned up. Granted 310.15(B)(6) might allow an SE to be overloaded to start with. (like 100a in a 4 ga).

I would like to have heard some of the arguments on your "can" fight.
"IC" does stand for insulation contact. wink
I suspect the first indication of a problem would be blinking lights as the thermal cycled. What that would be doing to the foam is another issue. I agree with you. Being slap up against fiberglass is not much of a problem but plastic foam can go right up.
I guess when we are all LEDs we won't care about luminaire heat that much ... as long as it is not an Edison base.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
When I actually read the ROP comments it does look like they are saying embedding wire in foam degrades the ability to shed heat far more than just being in a cable jacket, a pipe or simply bundled together. This actually seemed to go back to an SE issue that came up where a bunch of them went through one hole and burned up. Granted 310.15(B)(6) might allow an SE to be overloaded to start with. (like 100a in a 4 ga).

I'm sure their concerns have merit Greg, and i've read my share of domestic studies.

A few points about 'studies' would be, many are inconclusive, as science is repeatable , in the consideration of captive heat, it would be applicable to the end users.

For Ex, labs studies bundle conductors, and push them to 100/125% of rated capacity. Show me a resi-reality where this happens?

2ndly, I'm apt to ask who's dime the 'study' is on. Face it, we can ring up pro/con studies on anything.

Last but not least, I find the NEC to always play the isolative card. The issue of CCC's captive heat via insulation has been done by other systems for over a generation now Start here

The NEC being dwarfed by the IEC it (in part) it acknowledges should rightly be looking up their findings, not ignoring them, lest they've subvertly choosen to go the 'global warming' route here.

I would like to have heard some of the arguments on your "can" fight.
"IC" does stand for insulation contact. wink
I suspect the first indication of a problem would be blinking lights as the thermal cycled. What that would be doing to the foam is another issue. I agree with you. Being slap up against fiberglass is not much of a problem but plastic foam can go right up.
I guess when we are all LEDs we won't care about luminaire heat that much ... as long as it is not an Edison base.

My queries about IC vs. spray foam resulted in a tirade between archy,foamer,roofer,lighting provider......

A lot of information was exchanged, much with conflicting 110.3(b) , for ex the lighting manufacturer's 'IC' ratings did not address spray foam immersion , but has the 'call a licensed spark' disclaimer

The spray foamer followed suit, with the spectre of differences in open/closed cell. This also has the carpenters involved as to where the captive 14%? (+-) moisture of kiln dried construct ends up.

We're talking more than just our trade here, i've been party to some reno's firehosing spray foam over antiquated installs of EVERY trade.

Last are LED's and the green machine. As i live in a state so blue it can be seen from space i've no choice but to bow down to our state dept of energy nazi's

Where this canard of LED's being non heat or low heat element started i do not know, but checking with the recent updates in 410 ,it appears at least that CMP viewed them correctly.

Just the heat sinks alone on some of the LED outlighting products should evidence this enough for the casual viewer...

The aforementioned lighting lady tried to foist this on me as well, as her offering were LED. As an aside, i've outfitted my entire home to LED, still get the 'you use too much juice' notices from our lovely energy monitors here

They're great for starting the wood stove....:)

~S~

I see at the end of February they sent out a revised bulletin looks the same to me

http://www.safetyauthority.ca/alert...nsulation-non-metallic-sheathed-cables-0
Originally Posted by HotLine1
There were some issues with foam related to the chemical contained in the product that I recall from time past.

NM jacket becoming soft and 'melting', similar to what happens with a non-latex base primer used in fire restoration jobs.

Time to check out Dougs link

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard