ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
OMG il never moan about our supply again its surprising just what some authorities will allow I remember going to a place near Dinard in France and the coach driver telling us not to be surprised if the power went off apparently they experienced regular powercuts there was 2 in the space of 2 hours and lots of lamp flicker awful when you think about it

R
Hi Annemarie I have seen that video, as I am very active in youtube as well , watching and making video's.
That shack they live in has a long overhead line. The supply is single phase 220 Volts 16 Amperes. They take power from before the diazed fuses or mcb on that old meter panel. There is a shot of the meter nameplate in one of their video's. Rating 5 - 17 Amps. They have also some crazy capacitor blow up video's too.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
W
Many years ago in a cheap hotel in Bangkok I noticed the table lamp had a join in its figure 8 flex. I thought, "That looks a bit dodgy", and picked up the flex (after the join). Suddenly the room light went out followed by the flex glowing red hot below the join until it melted. Room light came back on and room full of acrid smoke.
Using my trusty neon screwdriver I carried I was able to remake the now somewhat shorter lead.

A
Hi RODALCO I didn't notice the rating plate on the meter I will look more carefully again I understand that in Russia and Ukraine they don't have LV fuses after the local transformer so I think if you bypass the fuses in your house the only protection is the fuses on the HV side of the transformer and they will never blow. I've seen those videos of them putting electrolytic caps straight across 220 volt mains they make a bit of a BANG Lol. I've seen your videos too I enjoy very much thanks for all your efforts. Winston I think bankok electrics must be as bad as Ukrainian ones must of been a scary moment

T
Well there's a reason why elderly people (who've experienced Russian occupation after WWII) around here call dodgy wiring (and other stuff) "Russian". I've seen absolutely spotless Russian work though, conduit run with an iron, as were the wires inside the consumer unit.

I do think these folks have LV fuses but try blowing say a 250 A fuse if you're on a long overhead supply!

E
I followed kreosan's videos for quite some time - it's two guys in a region that has been hit hard by some sort of military action. Basically, they've already been through enough that they're more or less desensitized to any "danger" from electricity.

If we're talking about the video I'm remembering, yes, they did short the mains, right off the meter, but using a considerable length of wire, which glowed red hot before finally melting. It is my suspicion that the wire was thin enough and long enough to have a resistance sufficient to keep the actual short current below the rating of whatever protective device may have been upstream of it.

Also, I know not all countries are the same as the US, and some have fuses or breakers before the meter -- but I was picturing there /not/ being one there, and the short being placed on the line side of the meter.

As to the lights going out -- I suspect the camera exposure as mentioned by someone else.

A
I'm sure it's a combination of all the things mentioned here. I saw a video recently showing Russian workers replacing a xformer and in the LV cabinet there was a 3 phase switch and 3 diazed fuses so looks like they do have LV fuses afer all I can't put a link because the title of the video and the person who put it there was all in Russian language so not a clue what it said. Also the cabinet where the fuses were had a hand painted rating label on much like the one in Siberian odysee posted on this forum ages ago.

A
Emolator did you see the one where they put an ammeter across the mains just after the meter?

A
Hi, would you share the YouTube username or a link to one of these videos? thanks.

A
Hi Andy look for YouTube kreosann there are about 57 videos on there site now if you speak ukranian or Russian you will be fine otherwise you mite need to search for videos that have English subtitles or commentar added have fun watching!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard