ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
That will make them scurry wink

I am amazed when my wife tells me how scared a lot of people are with inspectors. They have wanted her to "walk" the inspector since she was early in the building business.
Her attitude is just "OK what can we do to get this right" and things just cruise right along. One day she did meet an inspector she knew holding a puppy. He said that was not fair.

Greg Fretwell
Crikey!,
I wasn't even wearing Hi-Vis the last time something like this occurred......
Back in the day, myself and a fellow fire-fighter were at the local DIY "Mega-store" (as they call it here) for a charity sausage sizzle and a PR event about fire safety.
We were wearing what we call our "undress uniform" (formal gear), an elderly lady ran up to me and said "Officer, can you please arrest this young man here, he tried to steal my hand-bag!!"
She had the kid by the ear grin and I said that I probably could if I was in fact a police officer, but no I'm just a Fire officer.
I did call the police via our fire appliance and the kid got a good telling off and a clip around the ear from one of the local policemen.
About two years later the Fire Service here changed the colour of our shirts from light blue to dark blue, mainly because of the confusion from the public, some FF's were being targeted as police officers. crazy

Trumpy:

"some FF's were being targeted as police officers."

How do you mean "targeted"??

John
M
Originally Posted by Trumpy

About two years later the Fire Service here changed the colour of our shirts from light blue to dark blue, mainly because of the confusion from the public, some FF's were being targeted as police officers. crazy

Transit driver's here in Winnipeg had their uniforms changed a number of years ago because they resembled the Winnipeg Police ones.

Apparently the Police Union complained that their members were sick and tired of being asked when the next bus was coming, or how to get from here to point B when they were doing foot patrols downtown.

There were less bus drivers than police officers so they got the new uniforms.

M
One thing I will add about high vis clothing it seems to be be cut roomier. I have been out shoveling snow in some of my different high vis clothing and I fell not as tight as if I do it in my dress parka.

I also figure if I fall down in the snow the high vis will make it easier for somebody to find me.

Not sure if you meant "targeted" in a negative way or simply "mistaken". Nonetheless, the company uniform I wear is dark blue, long sleeve, heavy Arc Flash rated material. Plus I carry gear on my pants belt including a 2-way radio. While standing in line at a Tim Horton's a little kid walked over, poked me in the leg and said, "bad man".
Pretty sure, based on the appearance of the mom, he came from an environment that sees a lot of police officers in his living room. I knelt down and told him, "Hey, I'm a good guy especially when the lights go out".
Kids say the darn...

Originally Posted by Trumpy
Crikey!,
I wasn't even wearing Hi-Vis the last time something like this occurred......
Back in the day, myself and a fellow fire-fighter were at the local DIY "Mega-store" (as they call it here) for a charity sausage sizzle and a PR event about fire safety.
We were wearing what we call our "undress uniform" (formal gear), an elderly lady ran up to me and said "Officer, can you please arrest this young man here, he tried to steal my hand-bag!!"
She had the kid by the ear grin and I said that I probably could if I was in fact a police officer, but no I'm just a Fire officer.
I did call the police via our fire appliance and the kid got a good telling off and a clip around the ear from one of the local policemen.

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne
Cat Servant
Has anyone else noticed the shift in homeless fashion?

Years ago, you could always spot the recently released convict by his plain olive-drab jacket.

Then we had a period when all sorts of marginal sorts were attired in woodland camo fatigues.

These days, I see more such folks drifting about in bits of high-viz clothing .... often including bits of company uniforms.

At a local thrift store, company uniforms appear in the donation bin within days of being issued.

I'm reminded of my first industrial job. At a meatpacker in the market district, I noted all sorts of folks walking the street in butcher coats and hard hats - folks who worked at no establishment, but were constantly trying to slip into places to commit their mischief.

M
They could also be working off and on for some of the day labor companies to be in high vis.

You see the people standing outside of the companies that provide day labour to the private companies in my city standing in line with all sorts of high vis clothing.

From the brand new styles to vests/ jackets that were probably visible 20 years ago but are now next to black.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard