ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BigB Offline OP
Doing a residential load calc on a one family dwelling with a horse barn but I do not see anything in 220.12 that requires me to allow for a lighting load on the barn. Does this mean I do not have to figure it in at all unless it has fastened in place or permanently connected utilization equipment? The barn is 900 sq feet, has a 125 amp sub panel and just lights and receptacles.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
BigB Offline OP
Also they are adding a 1300 square foot garage for diddling around in and collecting a few cars. It looks like all I have to include in the load calcs is the HVAC and the door openers? No lighting or do I just use the dwelling unit 3VA? Do I include a welder and compressor in the calcs if they are cord and plug connected? How can I know the loads for plug and cord connected equipment if I am only providing a 50 amp and a 30 amp receptacle?

I don't normally do load calcs but I am helping the architect out on this one.

G
If you are just using the residential calcs, I doubt there is any requirement that you include the utility buildings if there is no fixed in place equipment. (HVAC etc) The general lighting load by square foot exempt them.
That is still not a good "design".
If you look at 220.103 there is some guidance for "farm loads" and if the garage is going to be a shop, you should try to determine what kind of loads are likely to be there.
The trick is trying to take into account "diversity".
It might be sufficient to just put in any HVAC load and add in the 3va per sq/ft to give them enough, assuming no extraordinary loads.

Greg Fretwell
B
BigB Offline OP
I went ahead and drew it up with 3va/sq ft for lighting and included the HVAC, welder and air compressor.Part of me didn't want to include the lighting and plug & cord equipment since I am not required to, to see if the building department would challenge it. But WTH we still got almost 200 amps to spare with all I included.

Cat Servant
Barns, and other outbuildings, are not REQUIRED to be included in the load calculation.

Of course, we know better. We know that, if they can, they'll run power out there. Hello, 'man cave.' Hello, 'home business.' "Just a few receptacles?" Sure, we've heard that before!

All you can do is to treat the entire barn as an "appliance" and make your best guess for the feeder. If you're smart, you'll 'accidentally' run over-sized conduit and feeders.

I'd assume a 60-amp load, and feed the panel accordingly. By the time they plug in the space heaters, etc ... they'll use it.

G
Reno's hit the nail squarely on the head.

Keep in mind that the Code is concerned with preventing shocks and fires; it's not a design guide.

Using the Code as such will not guarantee that there will be adequate power...only that there is a minimized risk of shock and electrical fires.

Ghost307
G
The real trick is figuring out how to compute "diversity". How many of those tools will be used at the same time.
Perhaps the KVA rating should be based on the number of workers, not the nameplates of all of the "operator required" equipment.
It is really hard for a "one man band" to keep 40a of equipment running. My 230a stick welder (the biggest load I own) says it is 48a but I have been running it on a 30a dryer plug for 40 years and never tripped a breaker.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
OK ... let's back up a bit ...

How did I 'guess' 60 amps? What does '60 amps' mean?

First off, many homes, even today, require less than 60 amps of 240V service. This is evidenced by the large number of 60-amp services existing.

If it's enough for the house, it ought to be plenty for the barn. Remember, that's 60 amps of 240 volts, or (if you prefer) 120 amps of 120 volt electricity.

Now, let's look at that barn ...

From experience, I can tell you that two consumer space heaters will be needed to heat a small, free-standing garage. Each of those heaters will "use up" a 15-amp circuit. In summer, the air conditioner will use less.
That's 30 amps.

Let's assume a microwave. Good-bye another 15-amp circuit.
30+15 = 45 amps.

Even two guys, using 'big' power tools, will be able to use the same convenience circuit. You can see this on every job site.
45+15 = 60

Just for giggles, let's throw in another 15 amps for a table saw (or welder). I use only 15 amps, as you can't work a table saw and a power tool at the same time.
60+15 = 75

Maybe toss in another 15 amps to cover the lights, the fridge, whatever.
75+15 = 90

We're still well within the capacity of a 60-amp feeder.

That "125-amp" panel is only a 125-amp panel if it's fed by a 125-amp breaker. More correctly, 125-amps is the largest breaker you can use. Feeding it with a 60-amp breaker is just fine.

As far as "diversity" is concerned ....

THAT matters only for the calculation of the house service. In that case, you fire everything up, measure what's actually used, then multiply by 80%. Now you have a figure for the service calculation.

Try to do it any other way, and you wind up counting things twice. The same situation arises with any other sub-panel. You don't "add up breakers" or "add all the loads." The sub-panel is "the load" ... it just doesn't have a nameplate.

If you're building new, using the 3-watts/square foot, etc., is a good way to guess. The more information you have, the better. The trouble is, the real world is not that precise.

"Services" come in 30-amp and 60-amp. There's a lot of room between those two. A 30-amp feeder would very likely not be enough, unless all you had was one receptacle and one light. A 60-amp feed, however, proves itself daily, in powering millions of homes.

I suppose you could consider ratings like 40 0r 50 amps, but why? All you save is -maybe- one wire size. Since I'm a real fan of over-size pipe, what's the point?

The moral is: Don't be overly precise. Unless you're Harry Potter, there is no train platform 7-3/4. laugh

D
Hi,

If you need any help regarding Residential load calculations and barns. I suggest you to visting eds.tech. It will be beneficial.

Thanx

DrewCameron
Cat Servant
I found revisiting my reply nearly two decades later to be most enlightening. In 2005 I was just out of trade school and adding hours for the journeyman test. Since then I’ve pulled a lot from f wire, got my journeyman, master, and contractor licenses. I’ve sat on code panels and even retired.

Looking back, I stand behind my post for the most part — especially considering the OP’s specific question.

I’d like to hammer in a few points, for a more general answer. These are:
— I’d have a disconnect on the outside of the barn / shop / garage;
— Have a ground rod AND run a ground wire back to the house;
— I hate digging but really like buried pipe. I’d size the pipe for 100-amp wire then go up a pipe size;
— I’d bury the pipe at least deep enough to completely bury the 90-degree sweep, and deeper than any irrigation lines;
— I’d use primer with the PVC cement. If I’m using steel pipe, I’d wrap it in thick PVC pipe wrap tape — especially any sections within a foot of the surface;
— I’d run a second pipe for future data / alarm / etc. wires; and,
— I’d run 60-amp wire, individual conductors. No UF or other cable.

I’d probably use a larger panel — at least twelve spaces. It’s amazing how quickly you use them. The first receptacle goes right under the panel.

Link Copied to Clipboard