ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 392 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
A few observations - and with no intention of getting too far off-topic smile

1) The various ideas regarding the relationship of people to their government was exhaustively discussed by the USA's "Founding Fathers" in the years between our (successful) revolution and our adoption of a constitution. The authors referenced virtually every manner tried - from the Swiss to the Iroquois, as well as the better known Greeks and Romans - and had some very lively discussions. Many of these are still published in book form as "The Federalist Papers." Alexis De Tocqueville also reported on our system in action during its' early years, in "Democracy in America."
I'd like to think that they came up with the best arrangement yet.

2) As for the virtues of various economic arrangements, it's still hard to top Adam Smith and "The Wealth of nations." He wrote somewhat before the leftist revolutionaries, and his views are completely in opposition with most of what is put forth as "economics" these days.

Please do not confuse the USA "today" with the USA "as designed." That's still a lively topic of debate these days, and for another forum.

As for power generation .... In 1985 someone in Israel proposed taking advantage of the difference of elevation between the Dead Sea and the Mediterranean Sea (400 meters / 1400 feet below sea level) to generate electricity. This was rejected for fear of damaging the natural order of things.
The advocates pointed out the risks posed by nuclear power (Israel has one small reactor), oil (guess who they have to buy it from?), coal (messy, has to be imported), and solar (not really feasible).
In short, there was no "acceptable" way for Israel to make electricity. So, Israel continues to stumble along on a "grid" whose structure hasn't changed a whole lot since the British built it.

That's what the rest of us face today.

All I ask is that we look at what works - and stop implementing solutions that have never worked in the past. This repeated insistence on failed ideas makes me suspect that our misery is the real goal of these these advocates want.

Or, as Rahm Emmanuel said, "Let no crisis go unexploited." Even, I might ad, if you need to create the crisis yourself.

A
I remember seeing somewhere else on this forum a discussion about that cascade power failure in Germany it just goes to prove that even the most careful engineers make mistakes trouble is if it a mistake on a large power grid millions are affected. Although on the plus side last time we had a big power failure at my old job we got to spend the day in the pub so not all bad!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard