ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#215499 05/19/15 07:08 PM
C
I just installed 16 4in halo cans and led trims, the trims seem to have a high pitched whine, the customer has other 4-6 in cree trims in other areas of the house and dont seem to buzz. We first tried the lutron ariadni dimmer cl-type and now got Cooper brands trace dimmer, still buzzes? is it just the halo drivers. Any others that have had experience with leds that make noise? We have others in ajoining rooms on reg. switch that dont make noise. but he thinks he wants to dim these when he watches movies in this room cieling is 6-8 aff.

C
accidently post in wrong sub-catagory, General inquery?

G
Question which comes to mind is do they make a noise (a) at full brightness setting on the dimmer? and (b) with the dimmer removed? i.e. with an ordinary switch substituted.

And no, I've never heard any sound whatsoever from an LED fitting.

G
I imagine the answer lies in how they get from AC mains to the DC the LED uses.

Greg Fretwell
I'm no electronics wiz, but...IMHO, I would stay with Cree.

AFAIK, Cree has the experience and a good reputation.

John
C
Yeah they dont buzz when just on a switch, HO bought at home desperate the frame in cans Halo, we started with the lutron and then got the cooper version Trace tal06p both buzz, the halo ones have addl. ground wire screwed to can.
But I take it no one else has tried to dim these 2700k 4 in trims?

G
Dimmers do put out an ugly wave and another brand/type of dimmer might work better but you just may have lights that do not like to be dimmed. I have seen incandescents that set up quite a sing too

Greg Fretwell
G
I'm not familiar with your fittings, but are they designed to be dimmed? LED lamps sold here are usually stated to be either dimmable or non-dimmable.
If they are so designed I would be asking the supplier or manufacturer to recommend the dimmer. As Greg says it hangs on how the mains to DC conversion is done.

Link Copied to Clipboard