ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
I like the NZ plug caps. You are not as likely to be pulling on the wire to get them out

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

This is the panelboard in our room (inspectors "inspect" wink
Note the RCD that controls the whole panel (30MA GFCI)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Nice cord cap!
The rocker switch controls the receptacle??

That is a 'clean' panel. Is it all plastic??

John
G
Yup The panelboard enclosure is Tupperware sort of stuff, pretty flexible. It makes a Gray Carlon J box look like a safe.

Greg Fretwell
G
Single pole main switch. Is that common? I've not seen it in UK or Europe.

U
The switch on the receptacle does control the power to it, that is the norm here in the UK too. In fact, a lot of that in the pictures is very similar to UK wiring. Except, we seem to be heading down a bit of an odd route at the moment, supposedly harmonising with Europe, though, in the latest version of BS7671 ( the wiring code book to you guys), there are a lot of "UK specific" rules. We did move from the "normal" colour code of red/black aome years ago, to a brown/blue one. Also, interesting to note, that in safety concious NZ, they are still using plastic consumer units (panel boards) - we are banning their use here from the end of the year. We then go back to all metal, even though the rules state, they must only be non flammable, but somehow, the guy running the update course, said that means steel?? The single pole main switch is very interesting, according to things here a "main switch" or disconnector, must break both live and neutral.

Some of those hotel panels have tamper switches that are tied into the fire alarm system.

I imagine you would have a real mess on your hands had you run across one of those and the FD had showed up with lights and sirens while you were doing your "inspection".

G
There seems to only one phase leg feeding this panel hence a single pole disconnect. Yes each receptacle has a separate switch. I did figure out what the wood stick is for. You are supposed to stick the tag on your room key in there to activate the light but that hotel had a small metal key tag that was not big enough to activate the switches. Leave the room, take your key, turn out all the lights. Seems reasonable.

Greg Fretwell
G
I've seen plenty of those key-tag operated switches but I would have expected an associated relay in the panel to switch off the air conditioner.
I've never actually "inspected" a panel like you did, but I have often heard the relay operate.
That arrangement can be a pain if there are two in the room and one wants to go out! I've taken the key off the tag before today.

G
In some places taking the 'key' out of that holder also resets the HVAC and turns off some of the receptacles. I found that out one time when my laptop charger was plugged into the one outlet that went off whenever I left the room.

Ghost307
G
Yup, same thing here. I got back last night and my laptop was dead. It was on the same circuit as the TV and desk lamp.
The hotel where I looked in the panel did not have the key tag switch. We have been in a half dozen places so far. only 2 had the switch, one had a stick in it. This one gave us an extra key and said we didn't have to use the one in the switch.

I think it is tough on housekeeping

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard