ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
I too have bonded a plastic exit sign. (Whatever you want Detroit.)

Its like, yes these boxes are within 1.25" and a screw could go threw it. The number of times this occurs is low. Do we need to spend $$$,$$$, to try and save $$?

I guess a whole new product needs to be created to meet code.

A rule like this hinders our ability to do excellent work.

Eg. Nicer homes we will tend to use 20cube boxes. This just gives us room for anything. Dimmer, gfci, nightlight, fan control... it does not matter, we have room. The tiny box upgrade costs pennies.

Now if I wanted to do that... metal boxes or nail plates. Now I'm doing this for dollars.

Simple, clean, quality would be too easy for us. Lets muck it up. Probably push this into the 2017 code book. wave

Last edited by Trick440; 02/05/15 06:19 PM.

Shake n Bake
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
If I was caught like that I would send you an apology, taped to a box of doughnuts and I would go back and amend my inspection report.
You can't stand up when you are right if you refuse to back off and admit when you are wrong.

I have to admit I had not seen that many gray PVC boxes before but I was never confused that they were metal. I just wondered if there was something different about them. In the end I figured out Slater just decided their boxes should be "slate" colored to differentiate them from Carlon.
Otherwise "same old, same old".

It did help me a lot that I had the time to talk to the contractors about things like this and I really enjoyed the banter. I understand the time pressures on your usual Muni inspectors may not allow that. That is also why I prefer the electrical contractor trade organization (ECF) that has inspector members more than the IAEI that is just crusty old inspectors.

Greg Fretwell
G
Grounding the plastic boxes??

Sigh...these types of inspectors make me glad that I'm hopelessly trapped in the metallic conduit world known as Chicago.

Ghost307
A little more on that box....
Blue boxes where common, both nail on and old work.
The counter guy at the local supply house (long out of business) said, 'check out these 'new' old work boxes, 20+ cubes, sturdy, nice wings, etc. 'Wow, they are grey!!

I just guess that the inspector thought the 'gray' was metal. He did not accept the phone call that it was plastic, seemed to be set on the fact, so to save time, and not have to sit around and wait for a re-inspect, I did what I did.

John
G
I don't know if Slater was absorbed by Legrand but they are selling gray boxes too

Greg Fretwell
G
If I was being a smart alec I think I would have "bonded" this box with weed eater string and a plastic binder post.

I have seen plastic boxes with metal hangers that had a bonding tab, just for bonding the steel framing members (a Florida rule). I looked through my junk box and I can't come up with one but I did come up with a gray Slater old work box and a nail up.

Greg Fretwell
S
When I'm wearing my inspector hat, I enforce the intent of the code. Granted there's the gray areas that will always and ever open for interpretation. By working together with the electrician, I have always good success on clearing things up. Sometimes my perspective is not the correct one.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
N
Do you bond plastic boxes with green nylon pullstring?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard