ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 387 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#214530 12/18/14 10:56 PM
S
According to the diagram layout of clearance in a clothes closet in Figure 410.2 ( 2011 Code), if I wanted to put an incandescent light in a closet, would I have to go by the bottom storage space which is 24 inches or the top storage space which is 12 inches? That would make a totally enclosed incandescent surface mount light being at least 36 inches from the side wall and back wall. Am I correct? The code says "from the nearest point of a closet storage space".
thanks. Lady I'm doing work for don't like florescets and the closet is packed:(

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

sparkync #214538 12/19/14 03:28 PM
R
Does she like the idea of her house burning down...

How about LED fixtures?

I'm more of an industrial code weenie so I sometimes stumble with house stuff. (Now if it was a Class 1 Div 1 closet I know exactly what you need. haha!)

I'll try to help. Also look at 410.16(C)for location of luminaire. I think this might help you out.

Perhaps if you explain the intent and that the reason is because people are burning down their houses the client will understand.

I'm renovating a closet in my old house. I'm pretty sure I'm going with some type of surface mount LED fixture. I know they still get hot but nothing like a bare incandescent hanging out there just waiting for the fire department to show up... wink

RSlater,
RSMike

sparkync #214539 12/19/14 05:01 PM
sparkync:

This is from the '14 NEC....

"410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.
(A) Luminaire Types Permitted. Only luminaires of the
following types shall be permitted in a closet:
(1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires
with completely enclosed light sources
(2) Surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires
(3) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires identified
as suitable for installation within the closet storage
space"

Read (3) carefully, then you could find an LED that is id'd as....! It will not be 'cheap'.

An option is a fluorescent with lamps that suit the clients taste. A good lighting showroom/salesperson can get you fluorescent bulbs that are close to incandescent appearance.

John
sparkync #214540 12/19/14 06:54 PM
Cat Servant
While you're looking at (3), feel free to send ME a thank-you note!

That provision is the result of a proposal I made for the 05 edition, intended to allow illuminated clothes rods to be used in closets.

I wanted the Code to recognize that UL standards already evaluate surface temperatures of such lights, specifically with the intent of preventing 'contact ignition.' In other words, it's already been tested, and you're NOT going to start a fire with them.

Personally, I can't think I've ever seen a closet where there would be a problem if the light were mounted on the wall, above the doorway. The usual practice of sticking a box in the ceiling is a very poor choice. I expect it has persisted as that box is often also a junction box where circuits separate. In older homes (pre-1950) that box is often the first box from the panel.

Otherwise, get creative. Replace the fixture with a receptacle, plug in some holiday lights (of the 'net' or 'icicle' variety), and fill the closet with a shadow-free glow. Wrap the lights around /above the door frame, and they'll never notice them

More likely - install a recessed can with a 'dropped' shower trim. This will direct the light all over- rather than the usual spot on the floor. Again, with a frosted cover, they'll never notice it's fluorescent or LED.

sparkync #214545 12/20/14 03:40 AM
G
I had a proposal in too, "accepted in principle".
I guess a lot of people had that idea.

Greg Fretwell
sparkync #214547 12/20/14 01:17 PM
Cat Servant
It wasn't that easy.

The story:
A manufacturer of illuminated hanging rods got them UL listed, intending them to be part of store window displays. In no time at all, folks were putting them in their household closets.

This created an issue; UL will not list something that violates the NEC. This is still one of the problems UL has with outlet strips, but that's another discussion.

Yet ... a shirt is a shirt is a shirt. If the light won't ignite it at Macy's, it won't ignite it in your home.

I proposed the NEC allow for fixtures to be allowed closer to clothes if they were cool enough. Yes, there were other proposals. The manufacturer was NOT one of the proposers.

My proposal was flatly rejected. If UL lists it, we'll consider changing the code, said the panel.

Now the topic came alive. The manufacturer came alive. UL quietly told the panel that they had it backwards. Language was adopted that pretty much aped my proposal (specified temperature limit was changed to conform to other UL standards).

Proposal accepted.

Out comes the 'draft' version, and the change is mysteriously absent.

Code is published, and .... there it is!

Finally, out comes the "analysis of changes," explaining the reasons for the change. There was even a picture of an illuminated closet rod. Most amazing, the explanation was taken almost word-for-word from my original proposal.

That's why I claim credit for this particular change.

Link Copied to Clipboard