ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 378 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213944 09/10/14 06:20 PM
K
kit Offline OP
I am working in a 100,000 sq ft warehouse, it is 36' to the bar joists. It has racking throughout the warehouse with shipping and receiving areas. There are workstations with desks, computors, copiers and etc throughout the warehouse in various locations. They need power and data to these desks. I want to know how to get power down from the bar joists above to the work stations that OSHA and the NEC will approve. Can I drop from the bar joists at 36' with a cord and put a box with a plug on it? I wold use wir grip (kellems) on both ends of the cord and boxes with hubs.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Most of the installation that I have seen for this involve putting the desks against a wall or column and using that as a conduit route from the roof trusses down to the furniture.
A free-hanging (and free-swinging) cord would likely not be looked upon kindly by the AHJ.

Ghost307
G
Pendant cords are legal but you need the right strain relieving hardware, hard service cord and generally twist lock receptacles.
If they are not moving these around, you could come floor to ceiling with strut and strap EMT to that. Hang a box there.

Greg Fretwell
High cube warehouses have EMT secured to the rack uprights, protected from any physical damage. The furniture is placed where the outlets are located. EMT for data also.

NEC 400.8, and 400.7 is where to look.

I accept, depending on the individual job, a twistlock receptacle at the bar joists, a kellems, and a TL male cap with a compliant device on the 'user' end of the cord. (Basically an 'extension cord)

Cord drops are an item that has been debated for a long, long time. IMHO, talk to your local AHJ, before you start.

John
K
kit Offline OP
Thanks for the help, looks like there is a lot of work to do to straighten up what they have.

Link Copied to Clipboard