ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Looking for a decent app to track travel time and on the job time. Currently using an Iphone 5 but open to apps that will work with Android also. Any recommendations??

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
Yeah, its called the clock....

?=^D

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
I have one for Android called Hours Tracker, it lets you put in a name for each job, and an hourly rate, then keeps a running tab on the total. It does fine for what I need, and I have had no issues with it.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Thanks for the tip twister. I'm thinking you can't trust the apps too much in case you run into areas of no coverage.

W
This one seems to work all the time. Not sure that it needs a signal, I mean it is just a notepad with a timer running in it. I work on cell towers, and most of them are new installations not yet on the air, not a signal to be found, yet the app works flawlessly. I may go 12 or 14 hours with no signal but the time keeps counting.

Jimmy

Broom Pusher and
I have heard about the Applet mentioned by 'wire_twister'

Much less "Invasive Feeling" to your Crews, as would be the Tracking (GPS) Applet types, or those Applets which function similar to the older "Login/Logout Wands".

Did not know the Applet used the Devices' CPU RTC (Real-Time Clock) for accrued Time. That would be quite helpful for Workers crossing Time Zones, where the Cell Triangle will update the Time displayed on the Device per Time Zone; either gaining one hour moving Eastward, or losing one hour moving Westward.

Hey Jimmy (wire_twister);
when you are working in Fringe areas (areas with "less-than usable" Signal Strength) do you place your Device Off-Line (i.e.: "Airplane Mode"), so as to reduce Battery Drain from the Device constantly trying to connect to ("Ping") a usable Node?

Back in 2001/2002, I was traveling between Southern and Northern California frequently via Ca. 99 and/or I-5.
There used to be a Fringe Signal Area across the "Grapevine"; a +/- 70 Mile stretch of highway (I-5), running through the Southern end of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.
The Fringe area began apx. 15 Miles North of Santa Clarita, and ended somewhere close to the I-5 / Ca. 99 Interchange; covering close to 90 Miles.

Back then, we all used Motorola i1000 Devices, with iDEN Protocol.
If the Device was left On while traveling through the Fringe Area, the constant Pinging would drain the Battery drastically.
So it became SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) to connect our Devices to the Cigarette Lighter Travel Charger, after leaving the Shop in Santa Clarita.

There were several other Fringe Areas North of Delano, these only lasted a few Minutes while traveling at >75 MPH... (the highways of Central California are jokingly referred to as "California Autobahn 5 / 99").

BTW, prior to mid 2002, the Southern California based Nextel "Direct Connect" and "Group Connect" user range ended at the borderline of overlapping Cells, apx. 15 Miles North of Santa Clarita.

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
W
Yes Scott when I remember it I do go to airplane mode. If it goes dead, it will just calculate the time when you turn it back on, you just have to subtract the time if it runs over. The app has a way to tell it what time to stop the clock, so if you go past it is not any trouble to fix it.

Jimmy

Link Copied to Clipboard