ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Another question concerning supporting light fixtures in suspended ceiling independantely of the grid. I know that the code says to attach light fixtures to the grid, but the requirement for tie wires is not in there ( I can't find it anyway). I know it must be in the building code or some other code. Does anyone know the "gauge" wire that is required to support them? I've looked in the North Carolina building code online, and I can't find anything about it. I've tried the "search" on the forum here but still can't find anything. I'm thinking it's a #12 steel wire, but am not sure. Thanks again...

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

10 or 12 ga should be OK
Check the specs if you have any for the job.

FYI, I used to have the ceiling guys install wires for me, and pay them; instead of using electricians time.

Last edited by HotLine1; 03/29/14 04:48 PM.

John
S
Thanks John. The reason I'm asking is that I think the owner was expecting to use little #17 gauge wire (it may be a little bigger, can't remember exactly what # was on the roll, but it was small. On a roll kinda of like # 10thhn wire is on)
I just wanted an official note of some kind to tell him. I'm sure I wouldn't want to be standing under one of the lights, if the ceiling fell with the kind of wire he has. Thanks
And yes, I'm going to get them to install the wires, but want to make sure they install the right ones. There's going to be a lot of them.

G
ASTM C 636 says #12 steel

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does steel wire gauge go the same as AWG; larger number smaller diameter?

And, thanks for the standard!

John
T
The history of wire gauges goes back into British industrial history -- and can get involved.

The original wire standard was exclusively for steel. It was devised for it. Copper wire -- for electric use came generations later.

While not exact, #12 in steel is pretty close to #12 in copper, and so forth. #10 is bigger in cross section for both, etc.

( Over a century ago, they actually were the same sizes. Then better steels caused them to re-standardize the steel gauge somewhat. Pure copper stayed copper.)

%%%

The numbering system got started by way of the technique:

A #1 (steel) wire had been drawn through the first (largest) die.

It was then annealed.

Next it was drawn through the #2 die, the second die, and it grew longer and thinner.

It was then annealed.

And so forth.

The 'oughts' ( 2/0 ) were the first attempts at back sizing upwards.

4/0 was as big as they needed, so it stopped there.

Last edited by Tesla; 03/29/14 08:11 PM.

Tesla
S
Thanks Greg. I tried to pull up the actual document so I could reference it to the owner, but couldn't find it. I'll let him know though. I did find where North Carolina has adopted the ASTM C 636 standard back in 2006 if I read right. Thanks again... Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard