ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213180 03/27/14 08:43 PM
I went to look at a job, where some copper thieves stole the parking lot light control wires, from a church none the less.
I discovered the ground wire pulled with the home run is bare copper, which I thought was against code in a raceway. Am I right? Or was this another myth I believed in? Also what do you think about split bolting the 3 control wires and heat shrinking them in each hand hole? $50 a pop for the resin kits seems kinda pricing, when split bolts/heat shrink work just fine.

Thanks, H20

Last edited by watersparkfalls; 03/27/14 08:45 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I don't work the traffic and signals market...

But the last NEC/ IBEW job I saw used bare #10 solid as the grounding conductor inside PVC for street illumination. It appeared that they used 1 1/4" as their minimum conduit size.

I was kind of jealous, they had an entire 20-foot double axle trailer dedicated to holding their conductor selections. I could never get such a rig to roll around our big box slabs.

That's the only contractor I can recall using bare grounding conductors -- excluding bare solid grounding electrode conductors.

Tesla
G
The only restriction I know that might affect that is that 8ga or larger solid is not allowed in a raceway.
The only exception I can think of is a GEC.

310.3 Stranded Conductors.
Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this Code.

Greg Fretwell
H2o:
No issue with the bare to my knowledge as Greg said.

Now, the split bolt issue. Do you mean 3 control conductors, or you have to put 3 into a split bolt?
Most, if not all split bolts are only listed/labeled (your choice) for two (2) conductors. ie; run/tap. Your AHJ may have an issue with 3 conductors.

John
HotLine I was going to put all 3 control wires in the split bolt, NSI industries claim to have a listed split bolt for 3 copper wires. However I am leaning towards Ideals blue weatherproof wirenuts, they are rated for wet locations and my connections are in a hand hole, so might truly be the safest and cost effective way to reconnect lights. Need to secure hand holes from future thefts any thoughts on how to? Was thinking drilling and tapping, but that diamond plate is thick.

Not sure where I got it in my head "no bare in raceway" however I will double check my WAC(Washington Administrative Code)book, however if previous installer was signed off, must be fine.

Thanks,
H20

The Ideal big blues sound like a plan.

John
S
Bare copper ground in a conduit is not a code issue spec issue perhaps but not a code issue.

As for the split bolts/resin question. That depends on the "engineer" of the project. If done right, split bolt/resin is definently bullet proof for a long tern installation. Way better then wire nuts given their location. If no rework or add to later is not in the cards, bullet proof is a definent plus if the customers are willing to pay for it.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard