ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Is there a way to remove water from buried conduit? I'm running some cat5 and RG6 to a detached garage. While I was pulling the cable I noticed they were wet as I pulled them thru the conduit. There was a rainstorm and water must have entered the conduit while the ends were exposed. Any ideas or is it ok to leave the water in the conduit? It is a 200' run and is 2" diameter NM conduit. Thanks [Linked Image]

G
Blow a pull string thru the pipe. The piston will push most of the water out....make sure you stay clear of the downstream conduit opening or you will get a shower.

If you want the pipe completely dry you can tie a rag onto the pull sting and pull it through the pipe a few times to get the remaining water out.

GJ

T
The pipe will eventually fill up with water again from condensation.I don't know of any way to avoid it.

Donnie
B
I'll side with tx here. For outdoor ducts, use gel-filled cat. 5 UTP and gel-filled RG6 cable, or signals will deteriorate after awhile. Short of a continuous purge of dried air or dry nitrogen, you'll never keep cables dry in underground ducts. Rest assured outside plant installation and maintenance folks wouldn’t go to all the trouble if it wasn’t needed or there was an economical alternative.

R
As txsparky said, you can't keep underground conduit dry. Standard Cat-5 cable will not perform well when wet. You should consider a Cat-5 rated for wet locations. It is "gel" filled like underground phone wire.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
E
txsparky is right. Any underground concuit will get moisture in it and it's almost imposible to avoid. If you can remove ALL the current moisture and humidity then seal the ends of the pipe, it should remain dry, but I think this is impossible. All underground conduit is considered a wet location, so make sure the wire is rated for wet conditions.

Link Copied to Clipboard