ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#212815 02/17/14 09:36 PM
S
Anyone know on a large facility with square footage kind of like a theater, that has lay-in lights through out
(aprox.76 lights),what is the requirement for emergency lights. Ceilings are high. The architech has figured overhead gimball type lights as an alternative, but I'm thinking lay in lights with an emergency ballast in them. The facility is going to be used as an "auction" house. Thanks for the input.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
EM layouts always have a lot of input from the AHJ -- to include the Fire Marshall.

Lay-ins at a significant height as EM would be somewhat unusual.

There is no typical, in my limited experience.

The last time I wired a multi-purpose public space the EMs were set above the egress doors -- with bug-eyes and battery packs -- and wire guards. They had integrated EXITs in them.

The need to routinely test the EM back-up circuit makes any lay-in that's way out of reach way out of favor.

In all of my D-B projects the tendency was to go with EM hat fixtures. Hats dominate hallways.

I always recommend visiting similar facilities within the jurisdiction to see prior practice -- especially if big money is involved.

Tesla
Broom Pusher and
Typically, the _Path Of Egress_ shall be illuminated to an intensity of not less than 1.0 Foot-Candle at the Floor Level.
(this is a brief version of a General Note I insert on all Plan Sets)

The Code Section of reference: - Section 1003.2.9.1, is per the 2010 CBC (California Building Code). I am unsure of the corresponding Section in the Model Code - which, if I remember correctly, should be 2009 IBC.

An additional note:
The _Path Of Exit Travel_ shall be identified by Exit Signs, per applicable Code Section (on my Projects, the reference is CBC Section 1003.2.8).
Locations of Exit Signs shall be in accordance with "applicable code Section" (on my Projects, the reference is CBC Section 1003.2.8.2).

I am not sure if Places Of Assembly require Emergency Egress Lighting intensities higher than 1.0 fc at the Floor Level. It has been several years since I compiled a Plan Set for Places O' Assembly.

Nevertheless, plan to use Linear Fluorescent wherever possible, maybe some "Bug-Eyes" at Exit Points.

If the Ceilings are >15 Feet, plan to have at least (1) F32T8 Emergency Lamp every 8 to 10 Linear Feet, above the _Path Of Egress_.

A Lighting Power Application - such as "Visual" may be used for determining the minimum Egress Lighting layouts.
Obtain the "IES File" associated with the type of Fixture(s) you plan to install, enter the IES Photometric File in the Application, and plot away!!! smile

Wish there was more I could add.

Good luck!!!

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
Thanks Scott and Tesla. Guess I'll just have to get into it deeper. I haven't committed to the job as of yet. Guess I'll have to get in touch with Fire Marshall, AHJ, etc. I was kind of wanting to get a "feel" of the job before I committed to it. Right now there are approx. 20 lights designated on the prints as "emergency" lights (gimble type).
The way the tendant explains so far, is that nothing is "written in stone". There can be changes. Of course those changes have to comply with "rules". Thanks again for the help. Steve.

A
1006.4 Performance of system. Emergency lighting facilities shall be arranged to provide initial illumination that is at least an average of 1 foot-candle (11 lux) and a minimum at any point of 0.1 foot-candle (1 lux) measured along the path of egress at floor level. Illumination levels shall be permitted to decline to 0.6 foot-candle (6 lux) average and a minimum at any point of 0.06 foot-candle (0.6 lux) at the end of the emergency lighting time duration. A maximum-to-minimum illumination uniformity ratio of 40 to 1 shall not be exceeded.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_10_sec006.htm

All really good info by others above.

The bldg &/or Fire officials are people you should talk to.

The Twp I work in requires (on plans) the egress path(s) with distances, and the locations of the egress lighting and the exits.

The photometrics are overlayed onto the egress paths.
High ceilings may require a 'high intensity' e-light units, as opposed to the regular 'bug eyes'.

Also, within the Bldg Code, it is required to provide emergency illumination 'to the public way'. Easy translated to mean e-lites at the exterior by the designated exit doors. Units with two heads or two bulbs to satisfy the NEC.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard