ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#212390 01/04/14 05:51 AM

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection
Arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit inter- rupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A) (1) through (6):
(1) A listed combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter, installed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit
(2) A listed branch/feeder-type AFCI installed at the origin of the branch-circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.
(3) A listed supplemental arc protection circuit breaker installed at the origin of the branch circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit where all of the following conditions are met:
a. The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch- circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.
b. The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.
c. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Video explaining an AFCI

http://youtu.be/OWJQqWjlQyo

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
Siemens has a fairly good overall description of AFCIs

http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/SiteCo...AFCI-Technical-Overview-Presentation.pdf

I am still not sure I understand all I know about 210.12(A)(3)

Why a arc fault breaker and a device type on the same circuit?
What is a "supplemental arc protection circuit breaker"?
Leviton talks about their device but the breaker is just alluded to.
http://www.bobselectricco.com/bob-s...itarc-faultcircuitinterrupterreceptacle.

Greg Fretwell
A tag line from bobselectricco.com link above, seems like another 'new' item is mandatory with the '14 changes.

"AFCI receptacles must be UL listed for compatibility with specific magnetic circuit breakers that are commonly found on the market today or used downstream from a new type of breaker called an SAP (Supplemental Arc Protection) breaker."

Reading thru the entire text, some text alludes that the AF device works with 'standard mainstream breakers'; yet the above quote is deeper within the text??

John
G
I just wonder why you would want the inline device if you are replacing the breaker anyway.
I doubt there is going to be a Zinsco SAP breaker anytime soon.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Existing old "FPE" 150 amp panel. EC adding three (3) new 2 wire circuits. He installs a 60 amp, 2 pole FPE CB, 1" EMT raceway (3'6"), 5' +/- conductor length. into a 100 amp MLO new sub panel. Three compliant AFCI CBs in new sub panel. Normal TR devices.

IMHO, that is compliant, and the AFCI receptacles are not required. Agree??

John
G
Agree, that is the most elegant solution. Just about any modern panel will work for the sub. They make AFCIs for just about anything still in production.

I am still not sure what a SAP is and why you would use one.

Greg Fretwell
Now, I can think of a few definitions for 'SAP'.

Seriously, I have to find time to read the '14 Changes!

John
G
From the cite Joe posted
"listed Supplemental Arc Protection circuit breaker"

Greg Fretwell
I believe you and I still do not know what it exactly is??

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard