ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#211535 10/25/13 07:50 AM
S
I'm not to "up" on tap conductors. I have a customer that is building a house. For now he wants just a "free standing" range, but later is going to change it to an "in wall oven" and "surface unit" in a counter top. If I pull 8/3 wg to the "free standing range" then later set a junction box and come out of each one with 10/3 wg to the oven and surface unit, will this meet code for "tap conductors? The conductors will just be approx. 6 or 7 feet. from the junction box. The free standing range will be on a 40 amp breaker.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
IMHO
If the future whip is only 6 or 7 feet in length, I'd just go ahead and install it as 8/3 instead of 10/3. It's not worth risking getting in a future argument with an AHJ over 10 feet of wire that only saves 1 trade size.

Ghost307
S
If you replace the breaker in the panel, the 10/3 would fall under the tap rules. My only concern would be as an inspector would be the range top junction box would be suitible for the larger, stiffer 8/3.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Taps still require the proper O/C protection for the conductor. The difference is the O/C device can be on the load end of the tap.

Greg Fretwell
S
I just re-read the op. when all dead and done, they will be a free standing and a range top on the same circuit? If that is the case, you will need to calculate the load together or just pull in a seperate 10/3 during the rough in.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
Huh? I believe this practice has been allowed for years. Read section 210.19(A)(3) exception No.1

This is from 2011 NEC:

Exception No. 1: Conductors tapped from a 50-ampere
branch circuit supplying electric ranges, wall-mounted
electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units
shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 amperes and
shall be suffıcient for the load to be served. These tap conductors
include any conductors that are a part of the leads
supplied with the appliance that are smaller than the
branch-circuit conductors. The taps shall not be longer
than necessary for servicing the appliance.

There are nice graphics in the Handbook, but...the Handbook seems to be no longer available in an electronic format.

John
S
Kevin, when all is said and done, there will be 1 wall mount oven, and 1 surface unit. I guess my question was, can the oven and surface unit still have a 40 amp breaker in the panel to protect them if #10 wire was branched off of a junction box? I know that was done years ago, but didn't know if it still was allowed. Been a while since I've had to do that, but I think John answered my question in the post above.. Thanks

G
I am with John. I missed that one.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by sparkync
Kevin, when all is said and done, there will be 1 wall mount oven, and 1 surface unit. I guess my question was, can the oven and surface unit still have a 40 amp breaker in the panel to protect them if #10 wire was branched off of a junction box? I know that was done years ago, but didn't know if it still was allowed. Been a while since I've had to do that, but I think John answered my question in the post above.. Thanks

Things have not changed from years past. The #10 would be OK under most circumstances. It depends on the KW rating of the appliances. You have to apply the demand factors as outlined in 220.55 including the notes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard