ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
My wife's electrician weathered out the housing crash in the hospitality industry, hotels and country clubs. Now he says he would not go back to construction.
Once you get some established customers the work is steady. There is a lot of word of mouth in that arena. Everybody knows each other. Good guys get all the work they want.

Greg Fretwell
Amen to that Greg!

Word of mouth, referals from established clients is a very, very valuable resource

John
S
I was able to put the furlough time to good use around the house, the largest project was to strip and reshingle the house. I had some good help and I am glad that the furlough is over.

Shane

Glad to hear you're back to work!

John
S
Thanx John. Yeah I'm back, sorta. With tying up loose ends on Home projects and playing catchup at work, and now in Seattle on an earlier planned but needed shoping trip, I haven't been in the board much. Still playing catch up. Hope don't go through this again in January.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Yes, the upcoming January possibility looming is not a good thing.

A lot of people here were affected with an unwanted vacation.

John
G
A lot of people here were affected with an unwanted vacation.

Only the private sector, the government employees got an exta 2½ weeks paid vacation

Greg Fretwell
S
For most of the people I work with, it was no vacation. Bills and interest rates don't stop just because the government does on the personal side. It also put personal plans on hold and even canceled some. Reimbursement of lost wages are not guaranteed.

AWork wise, it puts everyone weeks behind because our work don't stop either. Up here lot of work is weather dependent and the weather here is in its downward spiral so the windows of opportunities are gone. This makes the work even more riskier then normal. This adds to project costs just like in the private sector. Unlike the private sector that may be able to go back to be reimbursed for unplanned costs, we just eat the added costs. In turn, other work gets or just have to do with even less. It's not the bed of roses that every one makes it out to be.

S
I agree with you John. The January/February dates already has put a hurt on the economy. Many just haven't realized it yet. Most people I work with to include myself have put plans on hold because they don't want to be over extended due to pending uncertainly. Unlike October where the budget and the fiscal ceiling was two weeks a part. The next one, there is over a month long gap between the two. January up here can be particularly hard to be caught cashless up here. Just like many households, it takes two incomes to keep your head above water. Some of my co workers are married to each other so any furlough can be a double whammy for some.

G
There have been 17 of these shutdowns and the federal workers always get paid. It is the rest of country that takes the hit.

AFGE was even offering interest free loans for the furloughed workers.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard