ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21069 01/27/03 09:43 AM
P
What are the rules concerning adoption of the NEC?

I am aware of areas that are still using earlier editions (some 1990 and earlier) and it seems to me that they are not up to date!

Why is this??

Here in NJ, we are still using the '99 NEC
Our State lawmakers (DCA) are the adopting agency, as they include various "codes" within the State Uniform Construction Code.

We (Lic Electrical Contractors & Inspectors) have to take mandatory continuing ed classes and seminars; the 2002 is used for the classes and seminars. We "work" with the '99.
Confusing? Yes.

To make it more interesting, "old" permits are subject to the NEC that was in effect at the time the permit was issued. Sometimes, you have to dig out the "96, '93' 90 editions.

John

John
Isn't it also true that 3rd party inspection is normal in your State, and with some unusual competition between inspection agencies?

I have heard about some issues where certain rules are sometimes ignored, just to keep clients from moving on to another agency.

Which agencies are recognized in your area?

Are you with one of them?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
H
Joe,

Here in northern NJ I know of 3 different 3 party inspection agencies. There is BIU, Garden State, and Middle department. In southern NJ there is Ocean County Electrical Inspection Agency. These agencies have been around for many years. Plus the state Department of Comunity (DCA)Affairs can also do inspections. If my town doesn't have their own inspector, they would then let the job go out to bid. The 3rd party agencies would bid against one another and they would have to bid lower than the goverment to get the job. The DCA sets the fees and the 3rd party people have to either match or beat the price. The lowest bidder gets the job for a 4 year period. (I believe it is 4 years.) However no matter how good (or bad) the 3rd party is, they still have to meet the state's Uniform Construction Code. (UCC) I myself have been hired by the town, so I am not attached to any 3rd party agency.

Link Copied to Clipboard