ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
This Old House
by johno12345. 05/26/18 12:44 PM
Extension cords
by LongRunner. 05/25/18 12:19 PM
Fire source!
by LongRunner. 05/25/18 01:49 AM
Alternative income sources
by gfretwell. 05/24/18 10:07 PM
Furnace igniter leaking noise to stereo
by geoff in UK. 05/23/18 01:18 PM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
AC wiring and 250.122 #210577
07/11/13 11:33 AM
07/11/13 11:33 AM
B
BigB  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 725
Tucson, AZ USA
We are seeing a lot of "mini split" AC units. As an example, let's say we have a mini split with an MCA of 11 amps, and a maximum fuse or circuit breaker of 25 amps per the nameplate. The wiring method is Romex. Wiring the unit with 14/2 would satisfy the MCA, however I believe it would violate 250.122 due to the 25 amp OCPD. To comply with 250.122, using Romex it seems we would need 10/2, no? Am I missing something?

Last edited by BigB; 07/11/13 11:34 AM.
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210579
07/11/13 03:43 PM
07/11/13 03:43 PM
HotLine1  Offline

Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,967
Brick, NJ USA
You have to determine the OCP that you are installing to determine the EGC for the circuit.

Using the nameplate MAX of 25 OCP would require #12. This is based on 250.122 table in '11 NEC as I read it.



John
Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210581
07/11/13 07:58 PM
07/11/13 07:58 PM
S
shortcircuit  Offline
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 608
massachusetts
Originally Posted by BigB
We are seeing a lot of "mini split" AC units. As an example, let's say we have a mini split with an MCA of 11 amps, and a maximum fuse or circuit breaker of 25 amps per the nameplate. The wiring method is Romex. Wiring the unit with 14/2 would satisfy the MCA, however I believe it would violate 250.122 due to the 25 amp OCPD. To comply with 250.122, using Romex it seems we would need 10/2, no? Am I missing something?


BigB...The first sentence of 250.122(A) says that in no case shall the EGC be required to be larger than the circuit conductors supplying the equipment...

Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: HotLine1] #210582
07/11/13 08:01 PM
07/11/13 08:01 PM
S
shortcircuit  Offline
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 608
massachusetts
Originally Posted by HotLine1
You have to determine the OCP that you are installing to determine the EGC for the circuit.

Using the nameplate MAX of 25 OCP would require #12. This is based on 250.122 table in '11 NEC as I read it.



I use the Minimum Circuit Ampacity to size my branch circuit conductors for an AC unit...

Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210585
07/11/13 11:17 PM
07/11/13 11:17 PM
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
Please note that the 2014 edition will have changes to this requirement in air conditioning article.

Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: shortcircuit] #210586
07/11/13 11:33 PM
07/11/13 11:33 PM
B
BigB  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 725
Tucson, AZ USA
Ah so I was missing something. The scary part is I am pretty sure I knew that at one time. Getting old is no fun.

Last edited by BigB; 07/11/13 11:33 PM.
Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210587
07/11/13 11:52 PM
07/11/13 11:52 PM
HotLine1  Offline

Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,967
Brick, NJ USA
Perhaps a little clearer....

BigB example is 14/2NM, but he said 25 amp OCP, using the nameplate max figure.

Using the max OCP, a #12 EGC would be required, so using NM he has to use 12/2.

Yes, the EGC does not have to be larger than the circuit conductors, 'oversize' EGC to my knowledge is not available.

IMHO, I believe that he did not read Table 250.122 where the amperage col. jumps from 20 amps for #12, and 60 amps for #10.




John
Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210588
07/11/13 11:56 PM
07/11/13 11:56 PM
S
shortcircuit  Offline
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 608
massachusetts
Originally Posted by BigB
Ah so I was missing something. The scary part is I am pretty sure I knew that at one time. Getting old is no fun.


I agree with the getting old and memory loss...

Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: BigB] #210590
07/12/13 12:01 AM
07/12/13 12:01 AM
HotLine1  Offline

Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,967
Brick, NJ USA
short:
Ditto!!


John
Re: AC wiring and 250.122 [Re: HotLine1] #210591
07/12/13 12:04 AM
07/12/13 12:04 AM
S
shortcircuit  Offline
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 608
massachusetts
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Perhaps a little clearer....

BigB example is 14/2NM, but he said 25 amp OCP, using the nameplate max figure.

Using the max OCP, a #12 EGC would be required, so using NM he has to use 12/2.



I'm not sure I follow you Hotline...

When doing AC units the nameplate has all the info for sizing the branch circuit wiring...and sizing the overcurrent device.

For example...if the nameplate gives a MINIMUM BRANCH CIRCUIT AMPACITY of 30amps and a MAXIMUM BRANCH CIRCUIT OVERCURRENT DEVICE of 50amps...

I will wire the unit with 10-2 romex and connect it to a 50amp breaker.

Follow me?

shortcircuit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
HotLine1
HotLine1
Brick, NJ USA
Posts: 6,967
Joined: April 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
twh 7
Popular Topics(Views)
246,946 Are you busy
184,347 Re: Forum
173,548 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.022s Queries: 16 (0.003s) Memory: 1.0268 MB (Peak: 1.2104 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-05-28 03:31:28 UTC