ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 152 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210568 07/10/13 01:04 PM
T
twh Offline OP
Have you ever had a problem with a vfd that was resolved by adding a line or load reactor?

Sometimes I feel like I'm buying a rabbit foot for luck. If I install the reactor and don't have a problem, maybe I wouldn't have had a problem anyway. The time I had a problem, reactors didn't help.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

twh #210570 07/10/13 07:29 PM
S
This is a tricky question (besides harmonics there is interference issues). Simple answer I have not, but then again I've not had the opportunity to fix an issue.

Several things should go into the decission before buying a reactor, for just placing in reactors in several locations on the same source can cause problems through harmonic interactions and you end up with worse problems than what you started with.

So, how much of the locations load is VFD's?
How big and how many are there?
What is the patern for operation, so maybe an interactive unit (assumeing there is such a beast) is needed.

It comes down to needing to get it engineered by an engineer with experience in the area. I am not one with the experience in this area and my limited knowledge almost pre-dates VFD's.

TC-ER cables or XHHW-2 conductors in metal conduit may be all that is needed thus sheilding other things from the interference.

twh #210571 07/10/13 08:48 PM
Cat Servant
Think about it: exactly what is a reactor?

It's a big coil of wire. Half a transformer. What can it do?

All it can do smooth out 'bumps' in a less-than-perfect DC supply, and alter the impedance of the circuit.

So, any effect would appear as better speed control and cooler motor windings.

With that in mind, I have no doubt there are plenty of folks who routinely bypass them, and claim things work just fine. For a similar reason, I often find braking resistors disconnected. Who needs them?

Well .... let me put it this way: Every time we get a factory rep out, he makes problems disappear, usually by simply restoring everything to its' original configuration. That's followed by a year or two of 'field improvements,' a complete failure, return of the factory rep, and the cycle repeats.

Another common thread to problems is the equipment being run way beyond its' intent. 12-ton cranes are not really meant to lift 12-tonnes all day long, but the company 'saves' by not buying the 15-ton crane. Small wonder that two years later the crane (or whatever the machine) is thoroughly hated five years later by the maintenance crew.

twh #210573 07/10/13 11:02 PM
T
twh Offline OP
I have the manufacturer's recommendation on when to use line and load reactors. Sometimes they think they aren't necessary.

I'll ask the question a different way.

Has anyone not put reactors on, when the manufacturer didn't recommend them (or otherwise), and later had to add reactors to resolve an issue?

twh #210597 07/12/13 12:05 PM
J
JBD Offline
The need for reactors cannot honestly be answered by the manufacturer at the time of purchase. Except for extremely cheaply engineered VFDs, manufacturer recommendations for reactors are usually based on the philosophy of 'better safe than sorry'.

The need and benefit of reactors can only be determined determined by the installed system.
Installing reactors into existing circuits is harder than putting them in during the initial installation.

Link Copied to Clipboard