ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
One more: if you're toning a circuit, you'll get the loudest tone if the two leads you're squirting tone onto are completely open. A GFCI receptacle will foul things up--a gfi has an injector coil in it to impress a slight voltage on the neutral, so that a ground fault on the neutral, even with no load on the circuit, will trip the gfi. this coil is a moderate impedance short from hot to neutral. A low-voltage transformer for a doorbell or alarm system also bridges the hot & neutral, and will reduce the tone amplitude. Also in commercial situations, look out for emergency lighting fixtures, which have a transformer/battery charging circuit.

Cliff

Hey Doug

Hope you had a great weekend.

That is an interesting tip. You mentioned you clip the wire to the receiver did you mean the transmitter?

Let me know and I'll add it to the list of tips. Take care and thanks for the feedback.

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Ron Kipper Datacomm on YouTube
The typical Tone and Probe were never designed for tracing wires in ground. You might get close sometimes but generally not more than a few inches into the ground. That generally takes a lot better circuit tracer that's going to cost you thousand dollars or more. But in buildings a $70 T&B will do the job for a lot less money.

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
John

That is a good tip about paralleling two 9 V batteries together. I assume it will not damage the toner but will check into it. I wonder how many you could parallel and will have to check that out to.

If you need a tone and probe let me know and I'll be glad to send you one from this stash that I have. Just send me an address.

Thanks for the comments.

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Hey thanks for the tip.

Tracing wires is always difficult behind walls and by tracing them from both directions is a great idea to make sure you're in the right spot for popping holes in walls.

If you're need of a tone and probe let me know and I'll be glad to send you one from the stash I have. Just send me an address and I'll get one out to. Send it to my Ron.Kipper@IdealIndustries.com email thanks

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
That is very interesting so you are just using the red lead to connect to a live circuit and not use the black lead at all?

Let me know

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Harold

We sell circuit tracers that can be used on lives circuits but there are a lot more money than a standard tone and probe. But that's a good idea to just a make sure you're in the right spot before digging up the ground or knocking a hole in a wall.

Thanks for the tip.

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
That's a good tip too.

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Hey guys thanks for the tips a put them together and pass them along. I sent a number of you a personal message about sending you a free toner and probe. But if any of you are not in need of one just let me know and I might be able to help you to send me an address to my Ron.Kipper@IdealIndustries.com email address.

Thanks and keep coming up with the tips

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
H
Ron,

The tracers I used were Pasar Tracers, which were bought out by Amprobe many years ago. I think I was one of the first EC's out there to have them. I am talking back in the 80's when I was in business. I was tracing a dead circuit from a house to a detached garage.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard