ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Corperate greed hard at work...

link

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Companies should be allowed to sell their product under any model they wish. Notice it is auto dealers association that is backing this bill.

The same thing has been happening over and over again in the gas vs. (strictly) electric market. It goes way back to GM's own EV1 in the late 90s. GM themselves killed the line after just 3 years, and destroyed unsold cars. No, they weren't a flop... they were a hit and that scared GM.
The oil companies and automakers are all VERY scared of being hurt by electric, and are tightly protected by a very unscrupulous corporate/political "ecosystem".

G
A former GM CEO explained the end of the EV1 a while ago. They were just concept cars that cost about a quarter of a million each and although most of the owners loved them, they did not have a clue what they cost or what would happen when the batteries needed to be replaced.
GM decided to retire them while they were still on top.

Greg Fretwell
I personally bought a Civic (gas) over a Prius in '09. The Prius was commanding a 'premium' then during the 'Cash for Clunkers' Gov't program, and I could not get a $$ on the Prius battery.

The Twp I work for has a mini-fleet of Prius (Prii??), all '08s. Mine has 38.5MPG lifetime on the computer, all city driving. My Civic (09) averages 35 MPG for the 98k miles, most are highway.

One Tesla & fast charger was recently installed in a home, the 'S' model, & the guy loves it. There are a few Leafs around also.

I have not done any research on the battery life, or $$$ since I needed a car in '09, and I hope there is some info available now.

John
H
John,

I have already inspected for 2 of the electric car chargers in houses. Have you had any come through your town yet?

Harold:
Beside the one above, we had a few Nissan Leafs in resi.

PSE&G Conf. & Training Ctr has two fast chargers in the lot.

BMW dealer installed two charger locations a few months back.

Fuji Electric is working on a prototype for UL approval, looks like a vending machine.

We also have a operation that is really into battery developement for cars.

John
H
My friend is the CO of New Providence and the gas co. came to him, they were going to install a LPG station. The first one to be installed on the east coast, but it never happened. I am not sure why they pulled out. I guess they didn't think that there would be enough customers.

M
I recently challenged an enviromentalist about the Site C dam project proposed for Northern BC.
When did Hydro power get such a bad environmental rap with all these super expensive alternate enrgy project suddenly get so green? My point to her was if we suddenly went from fossil fuels to electric that the provinces electrical grid would immediately be too small to supply the electricity without the dam and probaly a few coal fired and gas fired generators. Her jaw dropped because they just don't thonk about any of it. The move from portable fuels to electricity will remove some carbon but it is naive to think that electric cars are as clean as the greens think. I have not done the math but with all the losses between the generator and the battery both charging and utilizing the power if the conversion actually would have a net reduction in carbon or would the carbon just move to the new generating facilities.
The entire city needs to be rewired too sice besides the heat, lights and plugs the grid must replace millions of kilowatts of power now produced by burning a fuel.

G
I have always wondered and not seen what the total loss is between generated power and billed power.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard