ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Broom Pusher and
We still have our good-old Analog, Non-Detent Single Stator Watt-Hour Meter with Mechanically Geared Registers fixed to a Mechanical rotating Register!!!

The old Sangamo KWh Meter fell victim to the "Bowling Pin-like action" of a run away 10 foot stick of 2" GRC.
The way that Pipe Pachinko-Balled off everything , it totally appeared as if the GRC intentionally attacked the Meter!!!

The Sangamo CL200 4-Terminal was replaced with a similar CL200 Rr=6-17/18 Analog-Mechanical non Hybrid, non Detent KWh Meter made by Landis & Gyr.

I hope the new Meters never arrive!
The usage recorded by our Mechanical KWh Meter tallies up in the Readout Dials as Consumption over time...ONLY!!!
There is no Clock involved, and the Register does not ever consider the time of day!!! wink

We can have a High Demand Load drawn between 10:00AM and 3:00PM, and the Meter does not place any TOU (TIER Levels) considerations on the Consumed True Power!

That is what the Pocos love about Smart Metering: Application of Time Of Usage Demand rates, along with selling True Power at Demand Peaks per the Market Rate at the Time Of Usage (primary benefit for central office meter reading).

In California, the same People that could not wait to vote Yes for Deregulation of Public Electrical Utilities, are now responsible for endless complaining, nasty grams, Troubleshoot calls, Dale Gribble Theories, rendering the services of Exorcists, etc..., due to their excessively high Billing Statements.

On average, I get asked maybe twice a month, to evaluate someone's Smart Meter - due to excessive monthly charges.
Reviewing the Billing Records removes all the Bandini quite well! (at least for me it does...)
High level consumption penalties, heavy usage during peak periods - or worse, during critical periods (like summer week day peak hours) and the penalties assessed to those TOU's, usage billed per Delivery Charges AND Generation Charges - within Delivery Charges are Transmission Charges, Distribution charges, taxes, and all that fun stuff!

Looking at an average Daily consumption rate of 191 KWh for 32 Days, their $850.00 Billing Statement does not Shock Me, especially compared to the $100K + Monthly Billing Statements from some of my larger Industrial Clients.

Typically, when things have progressed this far, there are only Two paths of travel:

Path A - The Least Traveled Path:

Ask me what may be done to reduce the True Power Consumption.
My usual response being:
"First off, turn off some of these frikken Lights!!!"
Followed up with the next most common:
"Eliminate the Fight For Dominance between the Floor Heater(s) and the Air Conditioning!!! Turn off either the Heater, The A/C, or BOTH!!!"

However, as I said, Path "A" is least Traveled... and we go to good 'ol Path "B" Appropriately named too! since the smell of Bull Fecal Matter is the Omen to whats coming next!!!~:-O

Path "B" is a slap in the face to anyone who studies our field, its theories, and takes our Profession seriously.
Path B turns the Person that ask for your advise on the matter in the first place; into an instant Electrical Engineer with >20 Years experience, holding an MSEE; who will now inform you of your many, many errors and misunderstandings!
Instant EE continues to say:
"All may be corroborated by my Friend:
'Mr./Mrs. XXX' at 'the power company' (or lives next to the brother of a friend who's Gardener used to shop at the same Supermarket of the Dentist who knew a guy from the same City as this Lineman who mentioned something about low voltages taking much more power than they should, because there is more amperage drawn, so therefore its more power).
Call this Person if you want to learn about Electricity!"

That is when I walk away.

BTW, tonight's rant was brought to you by someone playing the "Path B Card" no less than 30 Minutes prior to me logging on to ECN!!!
Please pardon the heat, and if you got scorched by some of the flames, I truly apologize!

Whew!!! That was bad!

OK, rant mode is disabled now! Need a new Asbestos Vent stack.
Time for beer blink
cheers

--Scott (EE)

Last edited by Scott35; 03/30/13 03:28 AM. Reason: poor and misleading spelling during rant!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
welp,
smartmeters finally came to dogpatch, no black helicopters, alien abductions, spirit communications with Tesla or Edison

i'm bummed....so's my dog because he can't hump our meter maid's leg anymore 'cause she got laid off

~S~

W
Here is a You Tube video from the Discovery Channel program How it's Made titled Smart Electric Meters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUEQ6evOHGY

It shows how they are assembled and at 3:25 shows the installation of the remote disconnect switch.
It's solenoid activated open contacts.

J
They sure don't look like they can handle 200A.

G
Originally Posted by Justinelectric
They sure don't look like they can handle 200A.

That has always been my impression too. The only thing that makes sense is that the meter is "smart" enough to not open them under a significant load. I am not sure they would know when it was safe to close them again.

Greg Fretwell
G
That's an interesting video link, and I think is shows basically how lots of consumer electronics is made these days. It helps explain (a) why complex devices can be so cheap, and (b), why we can no longer do "component level" servicing repairs.

H
Many do those things look flimsy or what? Even if by accident, if someone just hit that a wee bit hard, it looks like it will break into pieces.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard