ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
What is a smart meter? Is it the one that the utilities can use to read meters without going up to each house or something else.

We don't have the drive by ones here yet, I know at one time the gas utility was trying the automated telephone dial up meters but did not put them in general service.

I think the utilities (water,gas,hydro) here are only looking at the ones that they drive by and scan and not the ones that broadcast to and from a tower.

W
wewire2 Offline OP
According to the guy that installed my meter, he said the new ones basically have a cell phone inside. When the system is up and running,customers will be able to monitor their usage over the net. The unit sends out information about every 60 seconds. These meters should save the utility a lot of money since they don't have to send a man out to read them each month. He said that customers that decline the meter could be charged extra for someone to come out and read it.

They just installed the 2nd version of "smart meter' on my place... It tells you your KW usage cumulative and at the moment you're looking at it...

I think a lot of the people seeing higher bills had "tired" meters that weren't registering quite accurately laugh

L
Perhaps the remote turn off is a SCR across the two line terminals after fusible links? Remote turnoff that requires meter replacement?

P
I'll keep some long nails on hand grin

T
Triacs are so yesterday.

Try IGBTs ( Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors )

Take it as Gospel: they can terminate and restore service remotely.

Google is you friend.

Tesla
I figured this topic is worthy of revival... as the smart meters are still actively "proliferating".

Some people have had them for years already, some have just gotten them... and others are wondering when they'll be hit. As of 2013, we still don't have one. grin

As I understand it, the deadline for these meters to be installed is "eventually"? I've heard dates as far in the future as 2016.

In PA, the meters are being installed under PUC Act 129, effective 11/14/08... so it's been awhile.

G
We got ours a few months ago.
It appears there is a set of contracts in the meter but I can't imagine they will put up with opening the circuit under any significant load.
This thing has a RF link to a pole mounted hub that communicates with the host.

Greg Fretwell
W
Here in Houston, a smart meter save one area business lots of money. A Houston area Chucky Cheese smart meter sent indication of power loss. The Poco (centerpoint) sent a service truck to investigate. He found the feeders cut behind the bldg. He called the sheriff and they located 2 copper thief's on the roof. They both now have free room and board.

Originally Posted by gfretwell

It appears there is a set of contracts in the meter but I can't imagine they will put up with opening the circuit under any significant load.

I don't see why not. Electronics can control a solenoid or actuator that in turn controls a physical cutoff switch. With 12VDC and maybe an amp, you get a lot of magnetic force at your disposal.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard