ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209219 03/16/13 01:47 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
Is there a standard for employee travel time on out of town jobs, what do some of you do? In this case, the employees will ride with me for 4 hours each way and stay over 3 nights with all meals and hotel paid. I am not sure how to compensate them for the travel time and the time away from home.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
IMHO, that is a choice you have to make.

Back in 'the days', being paid to travel, with expenses within reason, were considered normal. ie: leave Monday at 6AM, arrive at site 11AM, work 8-10 hrs w/meal breaks, & head to the hotel. Next day-6AM to ??PM; log hours worked & continue 'till assignment completed. They had no issue with the time, and if expenses were reasonable, no problem.

Now, that was a 'large operation' & back in the good old days.

John
W

I pay the normal hourly wage one-way for travel in my vehicle, $20. for food and cover a motel room for up to 3 employees if there is a 3 bed unit or roll-out bed available. $20 seems cheap for food but they would have to buy food at home anyway. I bring an ice chest with gallon milk jugs full of ice and Ma's home cookin. Rarely ever eat out and since the movie Supersize me I avoid fast food with a passion.
As long as employees are making at least minimum wage for all travel time then you're covered in case someone has an issue. If they travel during normal work hours you have to pay them travel time. Most employees realize that business is competitive and if they want to work sometimes they have to go to where the work is.

Link Copied to Clipboard