ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 145 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A copy of the current survey works. On occasion, they may ask to 'see' an original.

Think about installing a shed, or a gen & having to fork over the going price for a new survey. I wonder how much they would charge to sign & seal copies that a HO brought to the surveyor, as long as it's the same guy.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
I also heard that another town will not allow gensets because they genset will be louder than the noise ordinance will allow. So the zoning officer does not permit gens of any kind in his town.

I haven't heard that there is a 'noise' issue. There is concerns with the adequate supply of natural gas in some neighborhoods.

John
M
If you find one with a cut sheet that has a equal or lower noise level than the ordnance what would he do?

Might reach into his bag of reasons for another excuse.

John
G
Sounds to me like you are going to see a lot of generators running off cords and when the noise cops come, in the garage.

Greg Fretwell
Are they as strict on manual generators?

The newer style panel covers are AWESOME they provide interlock protection between the utility and your standby, however a lot of people use those isolating type transfer switches around here(Washington State)I don't like them as much because you are set in stone as to which circuits will work during outage. The factory panel cover with interlock is great because you can use what ever circuits you want by simply flipping breakers.

Of course the gas generators have a major drawback(GAS) that limits them to 2-3 days of fuel and major storms out east seem to last WEEKS, but if natural gas pressure drops all those people who thought they were ready for the next storm might be pissed when their generator conks out.

H
John,

I have to check with the EC who told me that story about the zoning officer to see which town it was. However you would be right to say that if the town just doesn't want gensets, they will make up any excuse that the can find.

S
The homeowner could always use a quiet indoor type generator.

G
How does that work?

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard