ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
We install 100s of C-H panels every year. Never had a problem. Sq D is an excellent make, but I believe C-H to be a better value around here.

We're in a dilemnia?
Dana, is it a Combination Service Entrance?
(There's kind of a CA/AZ thing here)
We don't do things the same as many of you do(You guys with snow)

Our breakers are in a common enlosure with the meter & main, and then the branch circuits go from there. (mounted facing outdoors)
Is that the communications breakdown?
I know, the whole World thinks we're looney
They're right...S...CA

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-24-2003).]

E
I've got to defend Cutler Hammer a little. Their regular type CH panels with the tan handle breakers are every bit as good as Sq D QO.

That said, they do have a line type BR that is the same as Challenger and while they pass minimum standards, they aren't top of the line. That said, SQ D has Homeline, which is scraping the bottom of the barrel also.

L
lately the only panels that i been putting in is (general electric) 20 circuit with main breaker.no complaint here.

N
I have installed 4 brands Square D, Siemans, GE, and Cutler-Hammer. Have had no problems with any of it untill AFCI's came out. Have found that if the supply houses know you are looking for best price, they will work with you. BTW All 4 are installed here. Also usually in resi work the meter socket and incoming power co. wires are outside.

ed
H
Well...I don't even know what a "threadjack" is...and I don't remember referring to whether The Big Orange was brought up or not...but that's besides the point I 'spose...

I too am a loyal customer of ONE local supply house - but I asked them time and time again why they couldn't get that deal and they had no explanation and no solution...that said, I get my 200 AMP SQD QO 40 space 40 circuit main breakers from HOME DEPOT. If you have been there, and I know you have, then you know that they carry items that contractors use unlike Lowe's, who carries junk, and if you took a moment to look into it you would find that they also re-invest into the community and that there is NOT one in or near every strip mall in your town...

All due respect my friend but I too represent "mom and pop" and I can't afford to spend my money frivolously. I spend 90% of my materials budget at my local supply house but when it comes down to thirty bucks everytime I need a 200 amp service...let me tell you - that's my liability, auto and workman's comp combined...so please, PLEASE don't tell me about mom and pop and their hard times...i've got 'em myself...

and for the record, value packs are available at any distributor that has negotiated the deal with their Square D rep...I get them at CED all except the one that i can get elsewhere for less cost...

anyway - i was agreeing that SQD QO is what I support - if my reference to some other component frightened anyone - by all means - stop shopping there...

T
I am a square D man myself, and one of the supply houses in my area stocks the value packs, both in homeline and QO. Although he started stocking the QO after I had put in the Homeline in my own house. grumble. I don't know if the other SD dealer in town has the value packs or not, I don't go there at all, it's nice having a purchasing agent, you just tell him what you want, and it shows up on the shop floor [Linked Image]

TW

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard