ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I thought it was a 400.8(5) "cord" problem?

I spent too much time in buildings that never saw an inspector after the first "final" to think much about it.
Most offices have dozens of various cables and cords above the ceiling.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:
I agree with you, there are many technical sins hiding above the drop ceilings, most of which are 'unseen' for various reasons. Recent office fit out had 12-15 4" w/raised cover duplex receptacles; nice install. I asked why & for what? Foreman said 'tenants electronics, & a few projectors'.

Removed a few, relocated the rest to face down thru the tiles. I think if I go back after CO, it will be back the way it was on ceiling inspection!

John
G
Because I lived in the office environment for 30 years I have always had mixed emotions about receptacles above raised ceilings. Since enforcement is so spotty, cords and cables up there are always going to happen so the question is whether you want a 3-6'line cord to a real receptacle and a chapter 3 wiring method or an orange cord, maybe penetrating a rated wall into a place where they can hide the drop down to a wall receptacle.

I have seen some real nice enclosures for projectors that have the receptacles and A/V connectors in the box, effectively not above the ceiling but they are not the rule.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Did you look in my office? Orange cord? Computer equipment, power strip, orange cord hiding in some varitey of plastic imitation wiremold stuff.

John
Would our AHJ's allow something like this above a T-bar ceiling? It IS armored, but would you still consider this a cord?

[Linked Image]

G
I would want to examine how that FMC was terminated in the cap but it is an interesting piece of "git r done".
If this was a factory assembled, listed 348.20(A)(2)(b), I would tip my hat and look at something else.

Greg Fretwell
Using HVAC as an example,
You'd think there would be a permanently live supply inside the HVAC unit itself that a condensate pump could run off?
Our ones over here specifically have terminals in them for that purpose.

H
John,

I have never seen a condensate with hard wiring yet. Maybe that will become a thing of the future around here.

Our company wires ac's a lot, and the comp doing the install orders the hard wired pumps when they are called for, just a matter of ordering the right stuff smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard