ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#20742 01/21/03 09:44 AM
R
There is going to be some cold work here . The steel was just finished a few weeks ago, but there is a lot of electrical work to be done on the tower. This work has to be completed in late March so all of the testing can be completed for the ride to open. The top of the track is 420' above the ground. For those who like roller coasters, here are the specs for the new ride. The worlds tallest and fastest.
Note the first link is to a live webcam and you won't see anything when it is dart in the Eastern time zone.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
#20743 01/21/03 11:55 AM
M
Sorry you guys... We were seeing 72 deg here last week before the "cold wave" hit... Airplane tickets to Las Vegas are usually very cheap...

LAS VEGAS VALLEY-
TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE AFTERNOON HIGHS IN THE MID 60S.
TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S...
WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE MID 60S... LIGHT WIND
THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S
FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY... LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S... HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.

Mike Wescoatt
#20744 01/21/03 05:38 PM
T
I do feel sorry for my northern brothers.Right now it is 78 with a heat index of 81 where I live.We are supposed to be at 22 Friday morning.Thats Texas though,if you don't like the weather,stick around cause it'll shore change

Donnie
#20745 01/21/03 05:58 PM
P
The point about being surrounded by large lumps of cold iron also goes for stonework. Some of the old stone cottages here which can feel very cold, even after fan heaters are turned on and the air temperature gets well up into the 60s. Wood always seems to have a much "warmer" feel to it.

It's not the heat it's the humidity.....
That applies to the cold as well. Though much colder temperature-wise than here, in many ways I found the in-land American winter much better than England because the air is so much dryer.

"What does it feel like to cruise to Earth from a height of more than 400 feet at speeds exceeding 100 mph?"
I'm not sure I'd want to find out..... [Linked Image]

#20746 01/21/03 07:39 PM
G
the weather geeks here, are telling us the "arctic" air is moving out, and the "siberian" air is moving in. what the hell's the difference? cold is cold!!!
anyway, guys, if you have the right amount of influence on the "movers and shakers" in your company......or maybe you are that "mover and shaker", try scheduling things like "service truck maintenance, inventory, voluntary vacations (offer an extra day?), equipment proficiency seminars, fix-up, clean-up, paint, and organize." the guys that wanna work, or need to, post the active jobs on your bulletin board, and ask for volunteers. if the only job there is, is an outdoor job, doing parking lot lights, and my family needs to eat.......i'll take it!!!! [Linked Image]

seriously guys, i know where you all are coming from..........but, the great thing about living in the good old usa, (or any other democratic country)"..is the idea that we can live and work anywhere we want to!!
i hate winters too, always have. (prolly comes from my childhood in rockport, texas).

all i can say is "make the best of it" and "quitcherbitchin"... [Linked Image]

gramps....(ready for the flames)

#20747 01/21/03 08:23 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
but gramps.....
bi***in's the only thing keeping me warm [Linked Image]

good thing i'm good at it.....

The train will then zoom straight up the 420-foot-tall hill on track that will rotate 90 degrees, crest the coaster's apex and then free fall back to Earth, reaching a speed of 120 mph for the second time. As the train races more than 400 feet to the ground, the track will twist an unbelievable 270 degrees -
egads Don!
are we to assume some apprentice of yours gets to test ride this?? [Linked Image]

#20748 01/21/03 08:32 PM
R
Sparky,
I wish I was working on that job. By tradition, the construction workers get one of the first rides. I hope to get out there this summer to test it.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
#20749 01/21/03 08:37 PM
If it's going 120 mph, 400 ft up, and doing a "death spiral" there better be a stick and rudder pedals involved before I'll climb into it!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#20750 01/21/03 09:01 PM
I had the "honor" of riding Montezuma's Revenge @ Knott's Berry Farm. 2AM, just got her goin', and we were working there @ night.
It ran by a SPST switch GO or NO. Rest was (Newton) gravity.
Wowee, what a ride (they dialed the speed down after that).
Next day, while trying it out without passengers, the dog that threw the train got stuck in the UP position, the train came through @ about 55mph, and ripped the guts out of the train. (fortunately without me in it)
A PC Card had vibrated out of its socket. We got an extra on the shock mounts.
Darn glad I wasn't in it...S

#20751 01/21/03 11:27 PM
M
Heh heh heh... I'm starting to really like this el nino kid. Its been dropping to around minus 15 F every night here in northern Minnesota for the past week or so, and I'm happy about it. I'm happy about it because in a normal winter we'd be seeing two or three weeks in december/january of the minus 20 to minus 40 or colder stuff. Minus 15? hmph! you can still sprint to the mailbox and back in your T-shirt and underwear at 15 below! You don't know cold until you've experienced 50 below LOL. And yes, thats without the wind chill factor.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard