Hey fellow sparktarians, my wife and I are moving into a new home, our first together. What is best and worst findings in the wiring in your new place? The worse for me was in this place thus far is the panel over the bathroom stool. My previous house was counter top receptacles were fed from the pigtail that was made up and plugged into the 50 stove receptacle behind the gas stove
All of the splices installed by the previous homeowner twisted and taped. No covers on the boxes in the attic and they were buried in blow in cellulose insulation. I ended up abandoning every circuit that was run in "new" romex and rewiring all of them. The dryer was on 12ga romex. ... that sort of thing.
I'd say an outlet wired with 0.5mm2 wire (20 AWG) on a 16A breaker was pretty classy. They also embedded conduit singles (single layer of PVC isolation) in masonry/plaster on that run. I didn't really like the totally frayed cloth wires outdoors either (there were covers on the junction boxes, but by no means weatherproof, the exposed copper was black and green with corrosion. Some Al thrown in there too for good measure.
My ground electrode was compromised too. The first night I was here I lit myself up on the electric cook top, standing barefoot on the terrazzo floor.
I found the ground rod clamp corroded almost off. I fixed it that night with a <YIKES> hose clamp and the next day I bought another rod a clamp and some 6ga wire. I tightened up all the lugs and basically went over the whole service. That was when I noticed the separate service conductors were coming in their own 1/2" romex connector in the side of the panel.
A few weeks ago I read about a German guy who moved into a new flat. He set everything up and it seemed to work. After a while he wanted to move the coax to the TV and unplugged it. When he did, the TV lost power.
Upon closer investigation he discovered that the socket was earthed to the neutral (legal in Germany until 1973) but the previous tenant had managed to disconnect the neutral upstream of the socket (the feed was looped across the ceiling and when somebody took the ceiling light down, they broke the neutral connection). This had gone unnoticed, because the neutral terminal was connected to the earth terminal, and the earth wire from the plug was connected to the screen of the coax inside the TV (large class 1 plasma TV).