ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
by gfretwell - 06/09/23 11:23 AM
Historical NEC Info
by gfretwell - 06/03/23 02:15 PM
Water heater 208 vs 240
by gfretwell - 06/02/23 06:26 PM
Help Finding Fault
by gfretwell - 05/30/23 10:05 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207231 10/10/12 01:02 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,674
Likes: 2
Admin Offline OP
This outlet is in the family room of my house and was wondering if anyone knew what it is?

Dan L.

[Linked Image from]

[Linked Image from]

[Linked Image from]

Admin #207232 10/10/12 08:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 265
Looks like it is for a 300 ohm television antenna.


Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Admin #207233 10/10/12 11:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 402
Agree. 300ohm flat antenna cable for TV or FM radio.

Admin #207258 10/11/12 03:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 206
I agree the faceplate looks like its for flat feeder but why two coax behind? In UK these would be 50ohm or most likely 75ohm. Can't work out the internal resistor/capacitor connections from the photo, but perhaps some kind of multi outlet signal distribution system???

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 984
Likes: 1
It's probably working as a balun to match the 300 Ohm to coax or vice versa.

Last edited by ghost307; 10/11/12 06:36 PM.

Admin #207291 10/14/12 01:29 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
I've had the same type of outlet in several apartments I've lived in back in the 70's. This was before the days when cable TV was common, and the apartments usually had a master TV antenna, which was amplified, and the 75 ohm coaxial signal was run to an outlet such as these in each apartment. The balun adapted the 75 ohm signal to the balanced 300 ohms required by most TV's of the time. I'd say these were installed before TV's commonly had 75 ohm inputs (before 1980 or so). Cable TV and the need for separate runs to each customer pretty much eliminated the need for these types of outlets. The modern day equivalent is the 75 ohm jack mounted to a wall plate.

Admin #212418 01/06/14 04:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 144
2 wires is i think in and out, but seems like for tv/radio

“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
Admin #212420 01/06/14 10:05 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 984
Likes: 1
Beachboy's right on the money.

That's a wall plate for an older style TV set.

It has a balun as part of its construction so it can take 75 Ohm in the wall and feed 300 Ohm to the user in the room.

Admin #212423 01/06/14 02:50 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 251
Back in the late 60's and early 70's i install hundreds of these. That outlet is made by Blonder-Tongue. Jerrold also made them. They were tap style. Each had a tap rating in db as to how much signal they passed from the trunk cable. They made them in 300 Ohm screw terminals or 75 Ohm F or G jack. You would put 8 or so on a run using lower loss taps to the end. This would compensate for the cable loss. Most were rated for VHF signals only, any UHF stations were converted to VHF at the Head End. Channels were received by an antenna, UHF converted to VHF, amplified, and distributed thru splitters and then to drops to which these outlets were installed. Mostly used in apt & multi-unit housing.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
California ,Long Beach
Posts: 28
Joined: May 2007
Top Posters(30 Days)
BigB 6
Popular Topics(Views)
307,238 Are you busy
235,208 Re: Forum
219,301 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5