ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Anyone know of another vent cap that can be used in the soffit eave for bathroom exhaust fans other than the "big one" Lowes sells? They sell one that is for 4 or 6 inch duct. You have to cut at least a 6 or 7 inch hole just to use it for 4 inch duct. Just had a job that the soffit was only about 7 or 8 inch wide. The hole would almost take out the hole soffit. Surely there's another brand somewhere. I'm still looking. Thanks for the help.
Steve...

K
I’m not sure what the Lowes ones look like, but back in the day when there used to be new construction, I used a ton of the Lambro 4" under eaves vent caps. They are basically just a modified dryer vent cap and use the standard 4-1/2" hole. Sometimes if the eaves is a little too narrow, I'll pad it with a small block of 1X that I prime with BIN before I mount it, so it matches the white vent cap. I think Arlington also now makes blank plastic mounting blocks that can be used instead of 1X wood for this.
Lambro

I just happened to have this type on hand and the room for it, so I used one for the second floor bath on my own house. Same 4-1/2" hole, but a slightly larger footprint than the Lambro in the link above.
Deflecto

Cat Servant
Please double-check your mechanical code. There are some restrictions placed on soffit venting of such fans. Code definitely is biased in favor of roof or wall venting.

Ditto to Renos statement above. You really don't want to do it twice!

John
S
Thanks for the link Kjay. The Lambro looks like what I am looking for, a simple 4" hole and nice looking vent. Reno, and John, in my area nothing is ever said about soffit venting. In fact that's the way the majority of them are done. Thanks..

Link Copied to Clipboard