ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#206780 08/11/12 03:46 PM
A
Hi Everyone: I may have an opportunity to teach nationals in Mozambique about electrical theory. Can any of you recommend web pages or sites that have this information available. I seem to recall one that had DC Fundamentals and AC Fundamentals but can't seem to find it. I would like to use a computer to get many of the concepts across in a visual way as a translator may be needed.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
If you can find the old US Navy books it would be a great start and they were written to about the 8th grade level english so translating may not be hard.
The other advantage is they are in the public domain.

I will poke around a little and see if I can find them in PDF.

Greg Fretwell
G

Greg Fretwell
T
I strongly suspect that your REAL requirement is to teach electrical practice.

No one is using Mozambique talent to design electrical circuits.

Since Red China is their current number one trade partner -- capital investment wise -- you need to steep yourself in their (Red China's) wiring schemes:

What the colors mean...
Three phase power...
OCPD...

and on it goes.

======

If the crew really needs theory -- focus entirely on DC or AC until they've got it down pat.

======

Personally, I would regard any attempt to teach DC theory a total waste of their time.

A second hand automobile alternator is an excellent asynchronous 3-phase power source. With one you can establish a field lab where the crew can prove up AC 3-phase theory...

By using human power to spin the alternator and displaying the juice on a second hand scope.

You'll want an alternator that provides easy access to the current AHEAD of the 3 rectifying diodes.

Once they're up to speed on this puppy, they can scale it up to the national grid in their minds.

Tesla
G
Tesla, lighten up. There can be smart people in Mozambique.
If you have students who want to know some theory it can't hurt, knowledge is power. It is a lot easier to be interested in what you do if you know what is going on.
You never can tell. There may be a future Edison, Westinghouse or Tesla out there just waiting for a chance.

Greg Fretwell
A
Thanks for the responses so far. Good idea regarding the alternator Tesla. Greg, I am all over the books. This is a remote mission center where most of the work has been done by previous visitors from other countries. As usual stuff gets added and they have voltage drop problems. The idea is to give some theory behind the work that they already do as they have learned how to do things that they do not necessarily understand why or the consequences. Example they know how to add circuits so they continue to do that until they have everything overloaded. You know what the quick fix is for that right.

Broom Pusher and
We have a few items in the Technical Reference area, which may be of assistance.

Use the Menu For The Technical Reference Area to find a link to specific topics, or go to the Mainpage.

For example, we have a Transformer Animation Drawing at:

1 Phase 3 Wire Transformer

***NOTE***
Click on the underlined text in one of the above Paragraphs, to jump to that page (opens page in a new window)

-- Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
A
Thanks for the info on the drawings and animation. I will save a link for the animation and possibly use it. I suspect that most of this would be too much to expect for them to grasp in only a month of theory. I am thinking I will concentrate on basic electron theory first, so that they understand a bit about conductors, insulators, etc, move to magnetism, basic series and parallel circuits. Basic formulas including ohms law, power, etc. I want them to understand the reasons for wire sizing, OC protection, and understanding of safety issues and precautions that need to be observed and/or initiated. Theory half day, other half practical dealing with overloading of existing feeders, and feeding and wiring of new training shop. I would appreciate advice and am open to suggestions and or constructive criticism about content etc

A really good 'basic' book is UGLYS. Its avail in english & spanish, and right here in the on-line store.

Look around the store, Bill may have some CD/DVD that you may use.

John
K
Good Morning
I see you are from BC and your cause seems philanthropic, why not drop by the college in your area and chat with one of the electrical instructors. Most would be delighted to provide some assistance.
In BC rather than use textbooks we use Learning Guides developed by electrical instructors, to teach electrical apprentices. I think the first year package is what you'll need. Alberta has the same system they call them ILM's and they can be found at trades secrets.org. They have an excellent graphics package that can be purchased for each year as well.
If you want to go with textbooks instead check out " Delmar's Standard Textbook of Electricity" it is the DC Fundamentals and the AC Fundamentals texts combined, revised and modernized. Great book but $$$
Hope that helps

Last edited by KingOhm; 08/19/12 02:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard