ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
jraef 3
Recent Posts
Windows 7 update problem
by ampherder. 06/21/17 07:01 AM
Norwegian power?
by dsk. 06/19/17 03:40 PM
Anyone ever take a Furnas A14D drum sw apart?
by gfretwell. 06/17/17 08:14 PM
Mains supply in GDR
by dsk. 06/15/17 04:02 PM
Any UL 508 experts out there?
by sparkyinak. 06/07/17 05:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
238,119 Are you busy
173,282 Re: Forum
166,177 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#207757 - 11/24/12 04:30 PM Re: Fire source! [Re: HotLine1]  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Blue Collar Country
Here's a pic of my modest aquarium, and it's attendant:

[Linked Image]

Now, that aquarium has a light, a pump, a heater, and a UV sterilizing light. That's four plugs. Most aquariums also have an air pump (I don't need one because of that 'quite waterfall' you see).

It's kind of hard to put five plugs into a duplex receptacle. Most folks are not about to rip the walls apart to install additional receptacles- especially if they're renting. With 'starter' aquariums around $20, you can be sure plenty of renters have them.

My desk has 10 receptacles, and there have been times where every one was in use. Here's the count of current things plugged in:
Computer: 3 + printer = 4
Modem & router: 2 (located elsewhere)
Desk lamps: 2
Paper shredder: 1
Under desk heaters: 2 (becomes 1 fan in summer.
Cell phone charger: 1

Lucky for me I still use the old-fashioned manual pencil sharpener and stapler.

Face it: Power strips are here to stay.

Plus .... let's look at that desk again. 4 or 5 plugs under the desk, 4-5 above the desk. That's a situation just begging for two power strips ... meaning, regardless of what the "White book" says, you'll see the things daisy chained.

There are various experts' and parts of the listing standards that want to obstruct the use of power strips. They're not only tilting at windmills, they're also preventing QUALITY strips from being made. They've set their doctrine against the customers' wishes.

There are countless examples of what the result is when that happens: Doctrine fails, and bad things happen because of attempts to impose the doctrine. "Prohibition" is probably the grandest of such failed experiments.
Doctrine has to change.

2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides

#207760 - 11/25/12 11:42 AM Re: Fire source! [Re: HotLine1]  
HotLine1  Offline

Brick, NJ USA
Reno:
Just to back up a little. My OP was not meant to trash power strips. My intent was/is to 'define' the fire cause.

Inproper use of electrical equipment, like zip cord extension cords, or power strips, usually result in the 'cause' being marked off as 'Electrical'. That's my intent!

John

#207782 - 11/26/12 03:17 PM Re: Fire source! [Re: HotLine1]  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Blue Collar Country
You are correct. Lots of bad things happen when stuff is mis-used.

Frankly, no one is helped when a fire is called 'electrical' when 'abuse' or 'stupidity' are the real causes.

I'd like to see better, more substantial power strips. I'd like to see 'better' cord use. Yet, too often we find our 'rules' prevent us from doing these things 'better.'

There's also a mindset that considers all 'extension cords' the same - that treats a 4-wire #8 SO cord the same as a #18 zip cord, that treats a 3-ft cord for the desk the same as a 90-ft. cord that snakes through the house.

There's a 'snob factor' that sneers ar Wiremold ... which results in cords being used everywhere, forever.

It's particularly annoying when folks take pride in their abilities to pervert logic.

#207929 - 12/09/12 06:24 AM Re: Fire source! [Re: HotLine1]  
Lostazhell  Offline
Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
I have a Plugmold power strip I use at my nightstand for an alarm clock and a couple chargers. Under my desk is an APC UPS with a power strip from the back up side and one from the just surge suppressed side. 4 external drives, modem, router, stereo, 40" LED screen and a 22" LED screen, server unit, magicjack, cordless phone charger, X-Box 360... In all, there's around 900 watts if I run it all at once. I just needed more physical outlets.

#207930 - 12/09/12 06:28 AM Re: Fire source! [Re: HotLine1]  
Lostazhell  Offline
Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...

There's always someone that knows enough to get into trouble...

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Member Spotlight
RonKipperDatacom
RonKipperDatacom
Kansas City, KS
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box