ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
A local homeowners association is wanting to put disconnects on their pad mounted gate operator. I am not sure if it is 110v or 220v. They are wanting to disconnect the standard voltage as well as the battery backup. Is the best way to mount a post on the pad and put the disconnects on this? Can I use toggles rated for the proper voltage? Thanks.

G
They are usually 120v from my experience and I see no reason why a snap switch in a 3r box with a suitable cover would not work.
This is not really a motor load. It is just an AC/DC power supply that runs a DC motor and control system.
The ones I have worked on are fused at 10a on the 120v side.

Opening the battery back up as going to be another switch. You need something DC rated and 15a or so. There is usually a DC off inside the box tho.

It really depends on what they are trying to accomplish.
There is a lockout capability in most gate operators without doing all of this

Greg Fretwell
Greg,
Do you guys not have things like 5 pole SPST switches over there, the likes of the Kraus and Naimer CA-10 range, where if you need more contacts, you add another circular contact block on the back of the switch actuator?

Believe you me mate, these things have got me out of deep doo-doo before, most are rated at 500VAC/100VDC and you can get them in all sorts of switching configurations like SPDT, DPDT, you can have it as you like. wink

G
You might be able to find that switch but how do you get around the low voltage and line voltage in the same enclosure? You might be able to provide suitable barriers but you still have to convince the AHJ it s OK.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard