ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205961 05/02/12 02:31 AM
S
sidmuer Offline OP
Hello.
I am trying to find some info, and seem to be hitting a wall.
I was wondering if anyone here knew the min subpanel height in an elevator shaft?
And if no min, what would the maximum be?

Thanks.

T
In my state, California, elevators are regulated at the state level -- with special almighty inspectors.

They'd never permit such a beast in the first place, at what ever height you care to posit.

Elevator regulation overrides the NEC -- and is much, much more restrictive.

Tesla
S
sidmuer Offline OP
I was also thinking, along the lines if this just not being permisible.
Especially in the case of an emergency, you'd want easy access.

I guess, at this point, I will assume it is just not possible.

Last edited by sidmuer; 05/02/12 07:06 PM.
M
You cannot put any building services in an elevator shaft unless it is for the elevators. This is not much at all. Smoke detector, pit light and pit receptacle. I have done more than 1 service call to remove electrical installations that used the elevator shaft as a riser ie only emt and 3 wires were in the pipe.
Now for the mechanical room you need permission from the elevator inspector to put anything more than the electrical for the elevator. Even a jb can be refused if it is not associated with the operation of the elevator. So a disconnect for the car and a disconnect for the car light. a light and switch for the room and a plug for the elevator service guys. Fire alarm device. All other equipment is by the elevator company.

So a panel? No way. even the disco for the elevator has to have a pilot switch that operates from the opening of the main disconnect and a panel won't work for that either.

S
sidmuer Offline OP
Thanks Mikesh!
It is actually a test question. Although I do not know if I have read it correct (bad memory??) But if my bad memory is correct, the question was: What's the min height of a sub-panel in an elevator shaft?
I would assume the sub-panel is for the elevator. But by the looks of it, even a sub-panel for the elevator is not allowed in the shaft. Correct?

Originally Posted by mikesh
You cannot put any building services in an elevator shaft unless it is for the elevators. This is not much at all. Smoke detector, pit light and pit receptacle. I have done more than 1 service call to remove electrical installations that used the elevator shaft as a riser ie only emt and 3 wires were in the pipe.
Now for the mechanical room you need permission from the elevator inspector to put anything more than the electrical for the elevator. Even a jb can be refused if it is not associated with the operation of the elevator. So a disconnect for the car and a disconnect for the car light. a light and switch for the room and a plug for the elevator service guys. Fire alarm device. All other equipment is by the elevator company.

So a panel? No way. even the disco for the elevator has to have a pilot switch that operates from the opening of the main disconnect and a panel won't work for that either.

FYI, that will not fly down here in NJ either!

John
M
Test question?

My answer would be only materials directly associated with the elevator may be in the shaft plus the smoke detector.
From 38-005 the minimum headroom is 2000mm but that is for controllers, disconnecting means but not panelboards which I would prohibit under 6-206 locating a panel in a hoistway should anyone think it is an acceptable location.

S
sidmuer Offline OP
thanks guys! Obviously a trick question.

Link Copied to Clipboard