ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Do I understand that TIA 11-1 adopted by NFPA that says that if a hot tub meets the requirements in the TIA it does not require Equipotential perimeter bonding?

Of equal importance, the TIA is automatically part of the code and usable so an AHJ or enforcement agency does not have to change anything in their ordinance. Read inside the 2011 NEC cover under "Important notices......

Last edited by George Little; 03/25/12 11:30 PM. Reason: miss spelling

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Yes I think that is what it says.

FYI

NFPA 70®
National Electrical Code®
2011 Edition
Reference: 680.42(B)
TIA 11-1
(SC 11-3-10/TIA Log #1005)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued
the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code®, 2011 edition. The TIA was processed by Panel
17 and the National Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on March 1, 2011,
with an effective date of March 21, 2011.

A Tentative Interim Amendment is tentative because it has not been processed through the entire standards-making procedures. It is
interim because it is effective only between editions of the standard. A TIA automatically becomes a proposal of the proponent for the
next edition of the standard; as such, it then is subject to all of the procedures of the standards-making process.

1. Revise 680.42(B) to read as follows:
680.42(B) Bonding. Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted.
Exception No. 1: The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Exception No. 2: A listed self-contained spa or hot tub that meets all of the following conditions shall not be required to have
equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces installed as required in 680.26(B)(2):
(1) Is installed in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions on or above grade.
(2) The vertical measurement from all permanent perimeter surfaces within 30 horizontal inches (76 cm) of the spa to the top
rim of the spa is greater than 28 inches (71 cm).
Informational Note: For further information regarding the grounding and bonding requirements for self-contained spas and hot
tubs, see ANSI/UL 1563 – 2009, Standard for Electric Spas, Equipment Assemblies, and Associated Equipment.
Issue Date: March 1, 2011
Effective Date: March 21, 2011

As for how it affects your codes, I suppose that depends on the language of the law that adopts it.

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg- My point was that for the first time that I'm aware of, the code inside the first page of the '11 edition tells us that a TIA is to be looked at the same way we look an an errata or correction of the code. What's your understanding of it?

George Little
G
That seems to be what the note at the top of the TIA says too although they say it will be rolled into a proposal at the next cycle. (one that is a slam dunk to pass I imagine).

I think it would still fall back on what your adoption language says. In the end, you are still the AHJ.

FYI for those who haven't seen it

Updating of NFPA Documents
Users of NFPA codes, standards, recommended practices, and guides (“NFPA Documents”) should be aware that
these documents may be superseded at any time by the issuance of new editions or may be amended from time to time
through the issuance of Tentative Interim Amendments. An official NFPA Document at any point in time consists of the
current edition of the document together with any Tentative Interim Amendments and any Errata then in effect. In order
to determine whether a given document is the current edition and whether it has been amended through the issuance of
Tentative Interim Amendments or corrected through the issuance of Errata, consult appropriate NFPA publications such
as the National Fire Codes® Subscription Service, visit the NFPA website at www.nfpa.org, or contact the NFPA at the
address listed below.

Greg Fretwell
G
Thanks Greg, I still have not figured out how to do some things on this BB. Copy and paste okay, but upload a picture is something I would like to be able to do and never learned it,

George Little
Don't feel to bad about the picture thing there George. It took me many attempts, and a lot of help from Mr Bill, Trumpy, and a few other good souls here.

I can get them into the Photo Gallery...that's it.

John
G
I just load the picture on my web site and bracket the URL (internet address) with the UBB "img" tags.

The quotes I posted are simple copy/pastes with the UBB "quote" tags.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard