ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
nrp3 Offline OP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a new customer with a Briggs and Stratton 12kw generator that doesn't transfer to gen power. I am guessing its the control board within the transfer switch. You can transfer manually and it will carry the load. The gen transfer coil ohms out the same as the utility coil and it will transfer back to utility on its own like its supposed to. There doesn't seem to be any 120v output to the coil, although if you transfer it manually, eventually it seems to pull in. Its a Cutler Hammer transfer switch. CHGEN100ATSR and I can't find any documentation on their site.

https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1010067.jpg

https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...3/P1010064.jpg

I can get generac stuff, but haven't figured out where to get Briggs and Stratton stuff. I ordered up one of their repair manuals for this generator but don't know if it includes anything on the transfer switch. Once I know for sure what the problem is, where am I going to get the parts BS or CH?

IMHO, the transfer switch info is from the trans switch mfg, not Briggs.

Try C&H tech services for schematic & parts sources.

My guess, from your details is a problem within the control board.

John
N
nrp3 Offline OP
I found the manual finally on the Eaton website. I did notice that the generator no load voltage was somewhat low, about 220v with about 60hz and the Briggs owners manual calls for around 62-62.5hz and 239-250v. There is no fault showing on the gen itself, however the cutler hammer ATS book shows that it needs about 90% nominal voltage to switch to standby. I wonder if its out of tolerance. If you transfer manually, if I remember under load the voltage comes up into the 230v range and the coil gets energized. Maybe undervoltage?

K
I would check with B&S support. Maybe they will provide some tech info. If it’s a warranty repair issue, they could probably refer you to a dealer in your area. They do seem to have some basic support FAQ’s and other general info on their website, but don’t know how much help that will be.
For replacement parts, on some sites, if you see a replacement part description with BNS Power in front of it, that stands for Briggs & Stratton Power. These guys in the link below sell OEM parts for the B&S transfer Switches. This is a parts breakout for the B&S branded 071046 200A ATS. Looks like the circuit board alone is $422.38, which is about half the price of a complete new transfer switch assembly.

B&S 200A ATS Parts Breakout

N
nrp3 Offline OP
This thing looks like what I am guessing two wire connection or start, so I guess I have more options than what I would with generac. Wish I had more experience with fixing them, the installs aren't that tough. Gotta start somewhere though.

T
I've found AGT Services helpful in the past when looking for generator parts: http://agtservices.com/supply-parts.cfm They have a wide selection and provide helpful customer service.

M
I have had a lot of electricians tell me that they have a hard time getting parts. Also , there is a long wait like over 90 days.

Link Copied to Clipboard