ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205320 02/10/12 02:05 PM
U
Up2code Offline OP
Hello All! Long question so please bear with me...

NEC 2008 Section 695.1(B)(2) states that pressure maintenance (jockey) pumps are NOT covered by the NEC...

That being said, section 230.2(A) states 2 services can supply the same building, such as a seperate service for fire pumps.

Service #1 supplies ONLY the fire pump.
Service #2 supplies normal power for building AND jockey pump, WITH generator backup.

This arrangement makes no sense to me, but regardless, I can not find anything in the NEC that would make this set up a violation.

Is this setup common??

Up2Code:
You Said: "NEC 2008 Section 695.1(B)(2) states that pressure maintenance (jockey) pumps are NOT covered by the NEC..."

Re-read that article...it says that this Article (695) does not cover jockey pumps. (my words, not verbatum)

If you look further (2008 Handbook), under 695.5 there is a graphic of a tap for a jockey pump (page 1096), and further 695.6 (C)(1) reference is made to Fire Pump Motors and other Equipment.

The jockey being a tap off of the FP service is common, I cannot recall a jockey being fed from another source.

John
U
Up2code Offline OP
You're absolutely right. Section 695.1(B)(2) does state that ARTICLE 695 does not cover jockey pumps. Thanks for the clarification.

Plans submitted for this project do show jockey pump being supplied from the normal service with generator backup and the fire pump supplied by it's own seperate service.

I looked in my NEC handbook at the graphic you were referring to. That is exactly what I expected to see when I arrived. Just wanting to make sure it is code compliant, being that I have never come across a setup quite like this. Still waiting to hear back from engineer who designed setup.

Link Copied to Clipboard