ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frank Offline OP
I have been working in trades for the last 15 years for the same employer who has been good enough to replace my lost or worn out tools
Well times are changing and now we get a tool allowance of $800.After getting dinged in taxes we end up with $500 and change.Im not complaining just wondering if I can write off any other tool expenses come tax time.My employer is a provincially funded hospital.The problem is I have tickets in both electrical and refrigeration and sadly the new tool allowance wont even come close to cutting it.How would I go about finding the amount I can write off at tax time if any. Thanks

Last edited by frank; 01/03/12 01:30 AM.
I just sent off my tax return filing code to my book keeper I noticed there was an insert mentioning something about a tool allowance I didnt read it as I am a self employed contractor

F
frank Offline OP
I would think if anyone could write off tools it would be self employed contractors.Shows how out of touch I am working for the government I guess

J
I went to the Canada revenue site and typed in tool expenses. Several things came up.
1. Form t777 - fill out if employer requires you pay expenses to earn your employment income. Line 1770 Tradesperson's tools expenses (see Chapter 7)
2. Also your employer will need to fill out form t2200 stating that he requires you to purchase your own tools.
Probably more to it than I know but hope this helps you get started.

F
frank Offline OP
Going to look now.Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard