ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Hello ECN!!!

I am trying to fix an issue with my computer/headset. I just got an analog headset for Christmas and whenever I use the mic people say I have a buzzing noise along with my voice.(And when i test it with loopback i hear it too). However, whenever i disconnect my AC adapter, the buzzing stops and i sound clear.
I believe this has something to do with the conversion from AC to DC in my adapter? Am I correct?
If I am, is there something i can do to stop the buzzing noise? or is there other power adapters out there that doesn't do this?

Thanks!!!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Broom Pusher and
Hello Labarr15, and welcome to ECN!

The description you give appears to be 60 Hz Hum, coupled to the Audio.

You could insert Filters at the Power Supply for Noise Rejection, but the easiest (and less expensive) method would be to purchase a "Cleaner" Power Supply.

There are several Members who will have much better suggestions than mine, so feel free to hang around!

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
L
Thanks for the input!!

I will be looking into a new AC adapter, one that is "cleaner", but I dont know what I have to look for...
Any input?
Thanks!!

That power supply you have for your laptop is faulty.
There should be no AC ripple at all at the terminals where it connects to the laptop.
This alone, will affect the way your battery is being charged.
Batteries require VERY smooth DC with a minimal amount of AC ripple.
My advice would be to send it back under warranty, as it is not doing it's basic function.

L
of course, my warranty ran out in November frown

E
I had a similar situation occur when using USB devices that have their own power supply. In my case, it was a USB hub that was causing the problem. The hub was capable of being powered by the host computer's USB port OR with the included power supply but not both. When I did away with the hub's power supply connection, all audio devices were crystal clear. The computer's USB port was able to provide sufficient power to run the hub.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
Thanks everyone for your input,

I just ordered a new AC adapter, which has 3 prongs and has a ferrite filter on it.. Hopefully it works, and ill let you know when i get it.

Thanks!

G
I have a lot of stuff hooked up to my audio bus here (goes to several output devices) and I ended up needing a decoupling transformer on some of the things to prevent AC hum. The worst offender is the PC itself.

Greg Fretwell
L
Hi again, the new ac adapter didn't fix it frown

But i was thinking, I use to use a USB headset, that worked great...

If I buy a external sound card (connected by usb), Do you think that might fix the issue? Cuz after doing alot more searching around.. I come to the fact that the internal sound card is crap :P

Thanks for everything!!!

K
Just wondering, have you tried using the AC adapter in a different outlet? Maybe one that is on the power conditioned output side of a UPS unit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard