ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Reno,

I thought that it has been awhile since the original post. I see that nothing has been done so far. Maybe it will be fixed if someone gets hurt.

As for the strange stain on those portable heaters, I have know that they are tough on those big old fluffy winter jackets. I have seen several jackets start to melt when the owners got too close to portable heaters on the job sites.

Cat Servant
Harold, I appreciate your reminding us of the fire risk posed by these heaters.

I was not exaggerating, though. Guys have actually simply laid the portable electric heaters on the floor, and grilled steaks for lunch, on the wire screens.

Unless one has lived in 'blue collar country,' one simply cannot appreciate how accurate Jeff Foxworthy is in his descriptions. I am certain that someone DID roast a pig over the Olympic flame at the Atlanta Olympics. You CAN buy deep-fried ice cream. During hunting season deer chile is a staple at lunch, and they've deep-fried fish on-site for lunch.

G
Deep Fryers? They must be city boys.

The rednecks I go bass fishing with will throw specks on the fire with the eyes in them. (just gutted and scaled).
They look at the eyes to see if they are done.
Then they pick the meat off and eat it with their fingers.
Corn and potatoes get cooked the same way.

Greg Fretwell
75 KVA transformers used to keep 'lunch' warm. 2x150 watt incandescent bulbs, in temp light sockets, set in a metal milk crate worked to warm soup. One of the 'ol timers had a toaster fashioned from nichrome wire & zip cord.

Liquid nitrogen was great for a quick chill on a brew.

Never tried a steak on an infrared heater though.

John
G
Caper (Harold) may come in here with the hot dog cooker story soon.

Greg Fretwell
T
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Caper (Harold) may come in here with the hot dog cooker story soon.

120 V on two forks?

This Swiss guy demonstrates the process using 220V from a transformer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kynts3xoek

G
Yup that is the one but it was a couple 16d nails or just the ends of stripped solid conductors running on line voltage. I actually had a Presto hot dog cooker that worked that way. They were on the market for a few years and just disappeared.
There are always a few on Ebay tho.

The conversation on Prodigy started getting silly and there were ideas for a turkey cooker.

Greg Fretwell
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I actually had a Presto hot dog cooker that worked that way. They were on the market for a few years and just disappeared.

Used one regularly.
Its fate was sealed by the arrival of the microwave.

H
Greg,

I see that they already beat me to the punch about the hot dog cooker. Do you have any of those old *P* stories anymore. I did save them but they were on the old floppy discs and I can't read them anymore.

Cat Servant
Life takes some funny twists ...

Anyone care to guess who has been asked to fix this pipe job?

I appears someone directed management to this thread - and they've suddenly decided to have it fixed.

Mind you, they took great pains to emphasize their 'no photos' policy, and to tell me just how awful the previous contractor was.

Not that old dogs ever like learning new tricks. I haven't even started, and I'm getting second guessed about the materials I've requested. This "super size heavy industry" firm is actually sending someone to the box store with a credit card to buy the exact count of fittings - rather than let me pick up a box or two at the electrical supply house!

Now that's a way to save money laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard