ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
We have been busy the last week getting power restored to people in northern new jersey. I have a couple of homes with damage to the panel buss because the panels were energized. we are just going to replace them. Today we went to a commercial property with a 1200 amp 3 phase switch gear where the feeders lands on lugs at the end of the buss. The service was hot under water and now have white corrosion on them. the buss has rust and obvious signs that it was under water. I am no engineer so what is the typical course of action in dealing with this issue??

Falcon:

You can read the NEMA reccomendations here on this link:

http://www.nema.org/stds/water-damaged.cfm

It's not NEC verbatum, but....remember 110.3 (b) (Mfg instructions)

Resi stuff is trashed basically. Large comm/ind gear may be 'factory' (mfg) certified as refurbished. Factory costs and timeline vs. replacement $$ are an important factor.

based on your description, lugs are replacable.....buss is an an issue.

John
F
wow you are quick. I just came across that link in another post and didn't get back in time to say so. It looks like a call to the mfg is in order.

Thank you for the quick response, again

T
If the bus is Al I'd expect it to be totally trashed.

If copper...?

I'd expect that either way -- it's going to be replaced.

That level of flooding normally requires gutting.

Flood damage that high had to effect a lot more than just the Service.

Tesla
M
There was a lot of homeowners last year that wanted electricians to "sign-off" on houses that were flooded out in the big rains. This was due to the insurance companies.
"

What I'd be more concerned about is not the lugs themselves, but the wires connected to them.
Having water get into any sort of wiring where it is terminated at a lug (or whatever), can cause water to move up under the cable insulation (by capillary effect), this can then cause a failure later on as the wire corrodes from the inside out.

I myself would be rather hesitant in re-connecting anything that has been submerged, without a VERY good megger and continuity test being done on the the whole place.
Let alone certify it as safe.
Be very careful here, it could come back to bite you in the britches. eek

Mike:
I share your opinion. Wiring that is submerged, or been subject to 'water damage' has to be replaced. The effects of corrosion or other internal damage cannot be 'seen' and will rear its head eventually.

I didn't mention anything regarding the conductors to the OP, as he only seemed to have concerns about the gear. Perhaps a 'bad' on my part?

John
H
There are some companies out there who will take the time and try to clean out all of the service gear to see if it is fit to re-use. As long as I get a letter from them stating that it is OK to turn back on, that letter goes into the file for reference.

Harold:
You are talking commercial (large) gear, not resi, right?

John
T
I can't imagine any circumstance whereby a commercial property could purchase fire insurance upon a property that's been flooded and then re-energized.

Period.

The debris that comes with a flood ruins everything. Things like MAINS circuit breakers.

It all has to go back to the factory for a rebuild. The active components are going to be toast.

Floods are disasters, plain and simple.

You can't fox your way around it.

Tesla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard