ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
A little Gee Whiz info

I see 0.14 to 0.15 difference between the EGC at my house (right at the service disconnect) and the ground electrode on the pole where the transformer sits, 50' away (that is a 14ga, 50' extension cord)
The .14-.15 change seems to be whether the (120v L/N) washing machine is running. I could hear it cycle.

This is the voltage drop in 50' of service drop.

I suppose I should have looked at the neutral current.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
Is the cold water pipe cu? Do you have good ground rods? Connections. Sounds like you have a bad trans from the power co. if its happening w the main off. and your grounding of the service is not doing its job very well or is doing the whole job and your plumber friend found a little better path to ground. I just finished with a similar problem. The cold water clamp was loose and customer noticed it was arcing and his lights were blinking/flickering. I tightend it and the problem went away. After many calls and visit with the POCO they decided it was a bad trans. It seems the neighbor had a problem too and didn't know it. He paid another sparky weeks before to change his panel LOL.

Ob

Last edited by Obsaleet; 09/04/11 05:48 PM.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
G
I have a 15,000 gallon concrete swimming pool. You don't get a better grounding electrode than that. Add a Ufer ground, a couple thousand square feet of bonded deck and 4 ground rods and I think I am grounded pretty well.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #203037 09/05/11 11:54 PM
M
Originally Posted by Obsaleet
Is the cold water pipe cu? Do you have good ground rods? Connections. Sounds like you have a bad trans from the power co. if its happening w the main off. and your grounding of the service is not doing its job very well or is doing the whole job and your plumber friend found a little better path to ground. I just finished with a similar problem. The cold water clamp was loose and customer noticed it was arcing and his lights were blinking/flickering. I tightend it and the problem went away. After many calls and visit with the POCO they decided it was a bad trans. It seems the neighbor had a problem too and didn't know it. He paid another sparky weeks before to change his panel LOL.

Ob

A bad transformer does not cause elevated ground voltage. As for tightening up the the ground water clamp your just masking a dangerous hazard called an open service neutral. The op should have the poco do a double check that everything is ok on there end and also try to make an equal potential grid to eleviate the symptoms.

G
There is voltage drop in any conductor, that will show up as ground shift.
When you have wye distribution there is also voltage drop in the grounded conductor on the pole. Some current has to be returning through the earth.

Since I have a 13kv distribution line that runs pretty close to a tidal river (that I assume might be as close to true ground as possible) I may extend this experiment along the line of about 20 transformers. I just need to come up with a 150 foot meter lead and a decent electrode.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW when I did my current testing a while ago in this transformer string, I still had current in my grounded conductor to the EGC with the service disconnect open.
As I said, I probably have the best grounding electrode system in the neighborhood.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard