ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#202532 08/08/11 11:26 PM
So I head down to Millersville Boro and ask for a permit ap for a service change 200a 120/240v resi. I begin to fill in all the spaces and then it asks about workers comp.(which as a s corp with no employee's I'm not required to have) Since I don't have workmans comp. I must have my signature notarized, that says I don't have workmans comp. So I'm having a problem with this little requirement, because I must now find a notary, go to said notary pay for the service and drive back to the Boro and submit my paperwork. Then I must return and pick it up. So I will 3hrs into the project before I start. If I had workmans comp. No worries just sign here put the policy # and off you go. Am I wrong to feel slighted here?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Obsaleet #202534 08/08/11 11:49 PM
G
It is the kind of thing I would argue about and see if I could get settled before I had another job there.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202535 08/09/11 12:24 AM
W
If you are in their presence with id, why would you need to have something notarised? That seems stupid

Obsaleet #202542 08/09/11 03:02 PM
Ob:
I'm not up to speed on the Keystone State's 'rules' anymore, but, do you have statewide licensing?

In the Twp I work in, you can get a 100-200 resi service permit right at the counter, as long as you are licensed, seal the app, and have a check or money order.

Certificates of insurance are required for work other than minor.

Have you ran into this situation in other towns?

BTW, we always have at least one notary in the building, in the event anyone requires the services.

John
Obsaleet #202544 08/09/11 03:57 PM
G
John, do you have blank permits?
When my wife was selling AC systems the contractors could buy a stack of blanks, fill them in when they sold the job, put a call into the recorder when they started and call for the inspection when it was done. It allowed them to replace a system over a weekend on an emergency call and still have a permit.

I think it was more "revenue" than anything else. Inspections were a spotty thing. Some cards were never signed but the permit got closed. Maybe the guy just misplaced his pen wink

There was a limit to what you could do on these blank permits. They did include service upgrades in some cases if the existing was deemed inadequate.

That process may be online by now. I am away from it these days.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202545 08/09/11 07:40 PM
Greg:

No, we do not have 'blank' permit filings.

For 'emergency' work, the electrical contractors can place a phone call to the Construction Office, stating the jobsite, emergency nature of the work & their info. They must file the 'paper' within 3 business days, & pick up & pay when ready & schedule an inspection. This procedure is 'by the book' (UCC) and IMHO is fair.

'Emergency' status can be heating, HVAC, services, and other items, at the discression of the Subcode Official. This works for Plumbing and Building also. All it takes to stay out of trouble is a phone call. If it's 'after hours', our office phones have voice mail, and there is also email. Some of the contractors & prop owners (select) have my cell phone number.

John
Obsaleet #202548 08/09/11 09:35 PM
G
I thought it was strange when I heard it but the more I thought about the better it sounded. These replacements were usually done without any permits at all.
Since there was really no zoning or plan review issues I thought it was a elegant solution. The up side for the county was that they had the money in hand ahead of time. If the code enforcement guy got a "neighbor" call(the way most guys get caught), there was a permit card posted and they had the recorder message as a cross check. Occasionally they actually did inspect this, just often enough to keep the contractor honest.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202549 08/09/11 09:44 PM
G
I just looked and it seems they have replaced this with a fax in application that you either "E-Pay" for registered users or use a credit card.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #202551 08/09/11 10:07 PM
S
Originally Posted by Obsaleet
So I head down to Millersville Boro and ask for a permit ap for a service change 200a 120/240v resi. I begin to fill in all the spaces and then it asks about workers comp.(which as a s corp with no employee's I'm not required to have) Since I don't have workmans comp. I must have my signature notarized, that says I don't have workmans comp. So I'm having a problem with this little requirement, because I must now find a notary, go to said notary pay for the service and drive back to the Boro and submit my paperwork. Then I must return and pick it up. So I will 3hrs into the project before I start. If I had workmans comp. No worries just sign here put the policy # and off you go. Am I wrong to feel slighted here?

Ob

Ob, went through the same deal here in VT

In fact i spent an entire afternoon on the phone to my insurance rep & the state office of WC creating something of a tirade

at present, i have to have WC, as a type S corp, even if i'm all alone by myself

AND , i can sign off on executive officers, meaning i have a policy allowing me to work, bid, etc, yet covering no one in an incident

follow me so far?

a brief synopsis would be the state basically bowing down to the insurance nazi's, especially blue state's looking to grease the HC machine

this comes straight from a state rep btw, most small contractors don;t have HC insurance, assumably ending up costing jobs $$$$ if they get hurt,(or limp to work claimig so)

juxtapose this with the insurance cabal loosing on their S&P's of late, and you've a recipe for legislative teeth looking for our contractual hides

like i say all the time when these issue arise (because they are a contractors concern) FOLLOW THE $$$$

~S~

Obsaleet #202553 08/09/11 10:11 PM
We (NJ) have permit docs available online to save a trip into the office for the forms. They are just form, that have to be filled out and dropped/mailed to the Construction Office for processing. Some say the State required (UCC) paperwork is borderline anal. There was/is a program called 'efile' that was being tested in some towns, but I have not heard anything.

My Twp processes 4000+ permits, not including updates, change of contractor, etc., all paper.

The 'fax-in' sounds like an idea. The only issue would be the required 'raised seal' from the EC. (State Law) As to "E-Pay"....we may get there someday.

I recently implemented plan review comments via email to the architects/PEs that provide email addresses. If no email address, then the rejection comments go via US mail. Noone has complained yet!

John
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard