ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
. They said we needed a development order ($350) that required a 27 page application, a public hearing and a sign off by the zoning board. .

I dont think we have a total of 27 pages in all of VT Greg

The spectrum of colloquial bureaucracy(s) really do amaze me, on one hand the inherent bumbledom machinations of sorts desiring to reinvent the wheel insiduously piles up into creating an inversely proportional efficacy

OTOH, lack of consideration for collectivist protectants creates the anarchy which is more what i do biz in here

It's really indicative of hierarchy's self enlightened interest to remain as exclusive as they do, i mean , it's not like we're countrires separated by oceans, they could do lunch once in a while.....

Boy, I'm glad I live here! If I want a new garage, or a complete house for that matter, I just go see M. le maire. If he says yes, the Prefect [or for that matter the President of the Republic] can go jump in the lake! Permits are just 'general' paperwork, qualifying what is within the law for a project,[map, areas, access, boundaries, services, sewerage etc.], but primarily so the State can persue you for more tax once you have improved your lot by spending your own money. Tradesmen can only operate within the narrow confines of their own trade, having been trained and qualified in their metier. They and only they decide what is the correct way to do any job, on site at the time it is done. Like a doctor, what he says goes. There are inspections, [ by the poco, sewage tech, water co ], to cover for the occasional fool.
As to trees, they are a commodity not a tourist attraction. If you want lumber or firewood..."TIMBER!"

Wood work but can't!
If anybody has time, and would like to 'see' the NJ Uniform Construction Code, the following link takes you there.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/ucc.html

John
Reno:

I understand your thoughts that there may be what some perceive as 'too many inspections'. Could part of that be caused from a lack of communication between the builder/owner and the contractors.

As you mentioned a tree inspection, that is part of the site work, and has nothing to do with the building trades, but the responsibility of the developer/builder, owner. It falls to Engineering in the Twp I work in. Although it probably varies in other towns, with different departmental responsibilities.

Yes, it can be overwhelming.

John
Originally Posted by sparky
[quote=gfretwell]. They said we needed a development order ($350) that required a 27 page application, a public hearing and a sign off by the zoning board. .

[color:#660000]I dont think we have a total of 27 pages in all of VT Greg

I do not know the amount of paper involved from 'accross the hall' but before you can submit your building permit package, you are required to have zoning and/or engineering approvals. A basic zoning app is 1 page, 3 part NCR.

Last edited by HotLine1; 07/23/11 01:18 PM.

John
G
We have a very twisted thing going on here. The community of Estero wanted to secede from the county and become an incorporated town. In order to keep that tax base in the county coffers they made a deal with the devil, with a county ordinance. The Estero Design Committee has to stamp every permit that is not a stand alone single family dwelling (all commercial, new development or common property in an existing development). They have rules about what architecture is acceptable, trees, green space etc. That means everyone has the same "house of Zorro" look (barrel tile roof, taco bell facade with baby poop tan stucco).
This is an unelected board who are pretty much self appointed.
They are dominated by 2 gated community HOAs. I expect there will be a law suit some day that declares the whole thing unconstitutional but so far even Wal-Mart has bent over and taken their medicine in order to build here.

This is the only community in the county with this kind of power.

Greg Fretwell
S
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/ucc.html

something along the lines of NJAC 5.23-4B (Manufactured homes) would be a good start for what rolls across our borders HotOne, as well as have prevented my inclusion as 'expert witness' in a particular suit against a fly by night company i walked away from a year prior to said debacle

i really didn't need the hassle yanno...

~S~

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
We have a very twisted thing going on here. The community of Estero wanted to secede from the county and become an incorporated town. In order to keep that tax base in the county coffers they made a deal with the devil, with a county ordinance. The Estero Design Committee has to stamp every permit that is not a stand alone single family dwelling (all commercial, new development or common property in an existing development). They have rules about what architecture is acceptable, trees, green space etc. That means everyone has the same "house of Zorro" look (barrel tile roof, taco bell facade with baby poop tan stucco).
This is an unelected board who are pretty much self appointed.
They are dominated by 2 gated community HOAs. I expect there will be a law suit some day that declares the whole thing unconstitutional but so far even Wal-Mart has bent over and taken their medicine in order to build here.

This is the only community in the county with this kind of power.

well we're historically a mecca for wingnuts too Greg>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiGKAQkeIOY&feature=player_detailpage

they've even their own flag, etc>
[Linked Image from vermontguardian.com]

in fact i've been approached by them, they really do put the fun in dysfunctional thinking they can do wthout courthouses, highways, nuke plants, schools and just about ever other federal entity here

myself, i just think they make a good argument for medical maryjane....

~S~

Cat Servant
Amazing the hatred Ms. Rand inspires in some, and the desire to attack the messenger, rather than the message. I'm a bit thrown off by the fancy words in a couple posts; "Atlas Shrugged" is reserved for those of us limited to plain, literate English.

Another irony- one that has to be experienced to be appreciated- is the contrast between Reno, and my current area, near the Missouri bootheel.

At first the two cannot be more different: an involved permit process with multiple fees, vs. a near absence of permitting and inspections.

This may be heresy, but I fail to find any substantial difference in the quality or safety of the work I've seen, comparing the two areas.

Of course, the current situation -where the Reno area has essentially closed down their building departments, and filled the functions with park department personnel- helps to confirm that the REAL reasons for codes lie in control and revenue, rather than a concern for safety.

Contrast the assumptions of many in the inspection trade to the attitude voiced here by many, both within government and without: it's absolutely improper for government to think it has any right to tell a man what he can do with HIS property.

Now, Sparky, if I understand your post, that makes Arkansas something of a utopia. I'm pretty sure you're the first to say that! laugh

Last edited by renosteinke; 07/23/11 08:24 PM.
G
These people are the opposite of that. They moved here from up north somewhere to "get away from it all" and now they want to bring "it all" here.

This is ironic since Estero was founded by the original Koreshans. (the guys the Waco people wanted to emulate)
Their leader was killed by the police too although the rest of the settlement was spared. No BATF with tanks in those days.

I beat them back in our little community by rallying the "silent majority". I rallied enough neighbors to defeat a proposal to reinstate deed restrictions 60-14 (the biggest turnout at an annual meeting in the 50 year history of the community. They expected to win 14 to 6 or 7.

There are still 14 people here who hate my guts FKM wink

We are really the only "unrestricted" managed development in Estero.
I used to be active in Estero politics but I walked out when they had a whole meeting about the size of an Arby's sign. (that was already the smallest one they had ever installed). It was literally 6' tall and could be covered with a 36" square of cardboard.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard